This is a build diary or a log on my Food computer build project.
As a concept the Open Agricultures Food computer is awesome. I like the idea of growing my own salads and things in a nerdy food computer
No more reasons needed. Whip open internet and start online shopping for bits and pieces.
As I am building my Food computer in Germany I of course used amazon.de for many things on the list.
for raspberry Pie and Arduino parts I used a online shop www.exp-tech.de/ . Came recommended and so far has worked fine.
At the start of all.
Parts for the hardware I got from local Hardware stores. Needed to be a bit creative as I could not find that insulate board with foil on either side, so I got normal insulation foam and a roll of kitchen aluminium foil. Add some glue and I’m sure it will work out
As the size of the food Computer I thought it would be nice to add it to my kitchen. Girlfriend did not want something that stuck out too much so I designed it so that it will fit under a kitchen top. Plan is to add some wheels so you can just pull it out when its time to harvest or maintain the unit.
I measured some of the other kitchen tops in the flat and they seem to be 88cm from floor to the top. Added some clearance for the top that is 3cm thick, some more for the wheels 3cm and then a bit so it is not glued to the underside of the top 3cm. Food computer can be 79cm tall.
Kitchen tops are 60cm deep so add a little clearance of 6cm and the food computer can be 54cm deep.
In the plan I calculated that the top is 1m wide. so taking the side boards thickness of 2cm each and adding another 2cm per side clearance Food computer is going to be 92cm wide.
Planned food computer dimensions are 92cm x 79cm x 54cm.
First thing first. The Frame.
First compromise is that I could not find the PVC board at the local hardware store. Granted that I do not speak any German and spent 3h there looking for all parts. So I got tired and went for something easy. Instead of the PVC board I got some laminated shelve board. This thing has no moisture protection and I think I might need to change them as time goes by but I’ll start with these
Shell is up next. Measured and cut and glued I managed to make the shell.
all went quite ok until I fitted it on the frame.
Did not calculate the bolts that stick out of the frame to my shell. After some swearing I just wound up welding the tightest corners and grinding the bolts off. I suck at welding... Now it fits… Sort of.
Now something is amiss. There is a gap between the font of the Shell and the motherboard panel (that wall that separates the grow-side from the fancy electronics.
Need to think of some options here. Number one is to make a new shell… Not wanting to do that. Maybe a 5mm gap is acceptable… Or not...
Well ran out of that aluminium tape so need to call it for today.