CO2 range to measure? Looking for an alternative sensor

Hello!

For a variety of reasons I am not able to buy the Cozir CO2 sensor. However, I could get this MG811 sensor.

The original Cozir is measuring [0 , 5000] ppm, while this MG811 range is [350 , 10000]. I want to know if this range is useful - I’m particularly worried about the minimum 350 ppm. What are the values we should measure for growing plants?

One author says “Most gardens and crops will benefit significantly when the concentration of available CO2 is kept between 1000 and 1600 PPM” (“How to Hydroponics” - Roberto, 2003, p.39)

I would not worry about 350ppm minimum since nowdays the normal values for co2 outdoor level is 350-400ppm. And indoors with people near by numbers are usually higher.

Also, you may try to get MH-Z16 or MH-Z19 - both will be supported out of the box with V2 software.

Greetings Community - Lighting PCB

I’m interested in growing lettuce. Based upon what I’ve read concerning growing with CO2 enrichment it appears that people normally enrich at 1500 ppm for production environments. I would think a sensor that covers the range from approximately 300 to 2500 would be fine. The high range sensors are probably less accurate than the tighter ranging ones. Not sure how accurate this needs to be. The high range sensor would also allow one to test effects beyond a range that is feasible (for safety reasons) in a large production facility with humans milling about.

Thank you Sergey, Joe. Will try the MG811 then, and hopefully make a driver for it!

While on this topic. I’m looking into a variety of CO2 sensor options too. Has anyone experience with the Grove CO2 sensor? https://www.seeedstudio.com/Grove-CO2-Sensor-p-1863.html

What bugs me for 1 is the range 0-2000 ppm. Although I do not suppose the CO2 levels should come anywhere near 2000 ppm. Is there a particular reason to opt for a higher range?

I reckon the accuracy is a bigger concern. Whereas Cozir claims 50 ppm accuracy, the grove only provides 200 ppm which leaves a lot of guessing in order to fine-tune the environment.

Any ideas?

Have a look at this article. Control Yourself: Understanding the Basics of Indoor Climate Control

It it covers CO2 as well as many other aspects of growing indoors and was written by Dr. Lynette Morgan who is a well respected hydroponic researcher and consultant who advises many large commercial growers.

I have no idea of it