Developing openag-ui without owning a food computer

i would like to contribute to openag-ui, but it seems like i need a working food computer to try it, i am from bangalore and i am not sure whether i can build a working food computer, is there any other way to try the ui without owning a food computer ?, it will be great for contributors to test and develop without a food computer in their premises

thanks

I’m interested in seeing what the responses might be.

This is a great idea - @gordonb is the UI guru - what say you @gordonb ? :slight_smile:

@harishk it would be great to have you contribute! Maybe what we need is a test server for the UI that generates fake plausable data for the UI. The whole UI runs off of a REST API, so I don’t think it should be too hard to create such a thing. Would you be interested?

@harishk it would be great to have you contribute! Maybe what we need is a test server for the UI that generates fake plausable data for the UI. The whole UI runs off of a REST API, so I don’t think it should be too hard to create such a thing. Would you be interested?

Hey! I can put something together in node to mock the API so we’ll have a backend for dev & testing the UI.

@gordonb yes i am, thanks for that

@ujvzolee great, could you please explain more about it ?

The basic idea is to create a standalone API project which will mimic the data returned from both the brain and couchdb. You will be able to run the openag_ui and connect to the same port / endpoints as it is configured now with the real server.

@ujvzolee thanks, could you please initiate that ?, i am ready to assist you !:slight_smile:

@gordonb I am trying to look at the software without a full food computer (at this time), and would like to set up the UI locally. I also have the issue of needing to set up some reserved/static ip before I can use the web ui.
The Couch interface is working (so I believe the ver 2 software is installed and working), but just typing in the ip address (or localhost from the RPi browser) doesn’t bring up the interface (http://localhost:5984/_utils/ works for Couch).

1. Is this a part of the ver 2 software at this time?
  2. Can it be installed independently (to where?, have a git command?)

Thx - Howard

@webbhm thanks for your question. Let’s keep this thread on-track. Can you open up a new thread with your question under the “help” category? Thanks!

@ujvzolee hey are you still thinking about working on a mock server for the UI? Have anything up on Github?

Hey, I’m interested in contributing too.

Is there anyone who would be able to share real data sample that we can use to build a mock?

I’ve already started working on the project, I can make a push to Github during the weekend. Just to clarify, as I can see from the source code of the openag_ui (and the browser requests) it mostly depends on the database replication from the brain to get data to the site. Therefore the mocking server -except of the few real api endpoints- simply should push sensor readings, etc. to the couchdb directly. @gordonb am I in the right direction? If so then as @lio said we should get some real data sample to simplify things.

Hi, please check out this repo with the first push of the mock server. It works nicely with the current ui. After running it you should see the chart moving with the sensor readings.

Cheers

I try to install openag_ui on my raspberry pi as “https://github.com/OpenAgInitiative/openag_ui” suggest:
cd ~/path/to/openag_ui/
npm install
npm run build

Then I don’t know how to visit the ui installed. I don’t know how to do with “…Copy dist wherever you like, or drag/drop dist/index.html on to your browser to run the app”.

How could I open the website of UI? Anyone could help ? Thanks very much!