How to set up and test a fixture?

Software is working (UI talks to Docker based brain and default fixtures loaded successfully, db works as well). Great!

But I can’t get my head around setting up and testing a fixture - and making it output to the UI. My aim is to set up the DHT22 (in fact it is a DHT11 but it is compatible).

Combing through documentation, forum and source code I’m still struggling. Help much appreciated!

Thanks
Rasmus

@bjerngaard Given that the DHT22 is already defined in the default fixture, therefore being loaded as a fixture_module_type, you’ll only need to create a fixture that adds that module as a firmware_module

Then you’d just have to run rosrun openag_brain load_fixture your_custom_fixture.json

Here is a first attempt on building a fixture for this specific example, you’d only have to make sure that you are setting the proper arguments (pin where you have connected the sensor to)

{
  "firmware_module": [
    {
      "arguments": [
      ],
      "type": "dht22",
      "environment": "environment_1",
      "_id": "dht22_1"
    }
  ]
}

I made a firmware module for DHT11, you can find it here. The sensors are pretty similar, but if you read a DHT11 with the DHT22 module, you will get readings like 233°C, because the way the data is to be interpreted is not the same.

I also managed to make it work with a fixture, which is in the end of this post. The variables are being shown in the GUI. However, I cannot make the recipe work yet.

@david and @aguadopd thanks for the input (and sorry for the delayed response - have been traveling).

I created and loaded the fixture definition you suggested, @david.

Here are some instruction for others:

1. use ‘nano’ to create the file defining your fixture in the Raspberry Pi operating system.
  2. then copy that file into the Docker environment using:

docker cp your_fixture.json openagbraindockerrpi_brain_1:/home/pi/your_fixture.json

1. run openag using your fixture:

docker exec openagbraindockerrpi_brain_1 /home/pi/catkin_ws/devel/env.sh rosrun openag_brain load_fixture ~/your_fixture

Tip: Use

docker exec -it openagbraindockerrpi_brain_1 bash

to bash into the Docker environment and check that everything looks alright (the ‘exit’ command will get you out again)

How do you debug (check that everything looks alright)?
I have created two fixtures, and so far they do not seem to be running or returning data.

1. the *.h and *.cpp files run fine in Arduino with the sensors
  2. added library.json and module.json
  3. put them in git
  4. created json files for deployment
  5. ran load_fixture with no errors

docker exec openagbraindockerrpi_brain_1 /home/pi/catkin_ws/devel/env.sh rosrun openag_brain load_fixture /home/pi/openag_bpm180

The first time the outputs showed up in

rostopic list

but I have not seen them in the list since then (subsequent load_fixture runs)
The data is in the database as firmware_module and firmware_module_type
There is no data (envoronment), so it appears that no code was compiled or deployed to the Arduino.

How do I dig into more detail?

have you tried

rosrun openag_brain flash?

That flashes the arduino.

Thanks, that is moving things forward.
I had assumed that the initialization process (reboot) would flash the Arduino. I wonder what other assumptions I have are incorrect.

When running flash, I am getting an error (progress!).

/tmp/tmpUq91q7/src/src.ino:2:27: fatal error: openag_bpm180.h: No such file or directory
include openag_bpm180.h

openag_bpm180 is my sensor (Bosch barometric sensor)
I was assuming that the url in firmware_module_type would point it to github, and it would fetch the code. Is there a directory where the code (*.h and *.cpp) needs to be copied to?

I assume firmware_module_type is a ‘descriptor’ of a sensor (code), while firmware_module is an instance of an actual physical sensor. Thus, I could have multiple temperature sensors (multiple firmware_module entries) pointing to the same firmware_module_type. These would differ by name and output name (and pin or address):
“ceiling_temp”: {“variable”: “temperature”}
“wall_temp”: {“variable”: “temperature”}
“floor_temp”: {“variable”: “temperature”}

Hi webbhm,
I am just starting to work on other fixture, and I am following the “need hackers to test” thread: Hackers needed: help run 2.0 software on 1.0 HW
It seems that *.cpp and *.h are rterieved from github, as long it is specified in type as git.

Getting some qualified success.

The file not found error is generic to local or github. It turns out I didn’t have the *.h file properly committed in Github, and once it was committed, the build progressed.

Warning: rosrun openag_brain flash is tempermental. More times than not I got timeout errors (especially when verifying the upload). I also got an error of 99-platformio-udev.rules not found, but this can be ignored as the system figures out the port (reboot helped here). Keep re-running the flash, and It does eventually give a successful flash.

I am still not sure what it takes to build a sensor. My code, BPM180 barometric sensor - which works in Arduino, would compile and show up in rostopic, but would not give any output. I backed off and loaded the hardware_fixture and hardware_fixture_type from http://forum.openag.media.mit.edu/t/hackers-needed-help-run-2-0-software-on-1-0-hw/694/64 (since I have a TSL2561 LUX sensor) and it happily outputs data through rostopic, the database and the UI.

• I know I a working build of OpenAg
  • I have a repeatable process for setting up a sensor
  • The data flow works from the Adruino through the UI

Next steps are to get the TSL2561 working with my code, then getting the BPM180 running. At that point I will try to document the steps for building and installing a new sensor.