OpenAg™ Personal Food Computer v2.0 (beta) [Documentation Release]

Hey all,

Today we are releasing the first set of documentation for the OpenAgTM Personal Food Computer v2.0 (beta).

Check out the [First Documentation Release for v2 Beta] (https://github.com/OpenAgInitiative/openag_pfc2/releases/tag/v2.0.0-beta). This can also be found under the releases in the [openag_pfc2] (https://github.com/OpenAgInitiative/openag_pfc2) GitHub repository.

This release includes just enough to get started building the PFC2 Beta. It includes the Solidworks CAD Model, Bill of Materials for ordering parts (links included), Drawings for parts that need machining, and DXF files for parts that need laser cutting.

We will continue adding documentation to the GitHub repo throughout the week and make another release by Friday 1/13. There will not be any major changes to the Ordering BOM. We also recognize there are a few components that are not available to source yet, mainly the Chiller Unit, LED Light Modules, and Signal Board. These are components that have had to be more custom for a few reasons however we are working to make them as available and accessible as possible as soon as possible.

The Chiller Unit is being made by an awesome maker named Kipp who has been experimenting and innovating on small scale DC chiller units for a few years (among doing many other awesome things). He has been helping us achieve 200-300W of cooling so we can more precisely control the temperature in the food computer chamber in an energy efficient way (compressor based instead of thermoelectric cooler based). He is currently in the process of scaling up his operation to make this unit more accessible. This unit is interesting because while many plants will grow fine in ambient environments, being able to actively control the temperature and go beyond the ambient temperature range is a key feature for the personal food computer to be a precision agriculture device. If you want a very near term solution, mini fridges / freezers and water coolers also have to solve a similar cooling problem.

With regard to the LED Light Modules, we have been working with GE to modify one of their existing products that is energy efficient and runs at 12Vdc. Many of the lower cost light panels you can find on Amazon will work, but they will also add extra heat into the system which reduces efficiency. We are also really excited about these units because they come in chains of smaller 3-5 LED modules which means they can easily be made into novel configurations. Each color (Red, Blue, White) is also on its own circuit so the light spectrum inside the grow chamber can be controlled more precisely.

With regard to the Signal Board, we needed to have a reliable and straightforward way to connect sensor and other communication devices to the Arduino. We also wanted a cheap way to connect Atlas Scientific Sensors to the system so this board takes the best parts of Arduino sensor shields and the Tentacle shield and combines it into a single printed circuit board. This design and gerber files will be put into the [openag_signal_board] (https://github.com/OpenAgInitiative/openag_signal_board) github repo. For those in the community that like designing PCBs, iterating and improving upon this board might be a nice place to start.

We have been working really hard on this version and will continue to do so on the documentation front. A more comprehensive build instruction set will come next week, along with a build video the following. We are very excited to deploy this and even more so to continue building this open ecosystem of next generation food technologies with all of you.

• Jake & OpenAg team

Space requirements and chassis dimensiions
Where's the cooling aspect of the food computer
New to the forum

This is amazing. Thank you so much for all your hard work. I am very excited for the completion of PFC 2. Do you know if there a kit that we can purchase in the near future?

Great information. Thank you!

Yay! Let’s take a look. Thank you so much!

Thanks OpenAg team and Jake this is great :slight_smile: Loooking forward to starting by the end of the month!!!

@jake I have now checked the BOM Master and the prices of the components are no longer shown. Any way we could get ahold of these?

Great job keeping the community informed so we can keep up, it makes it much easier to be patient seeing weekly progress and makes this whole process very exciting!

@andy I know that they plan to release a kit shortly, I’m not sure how quickly it will be available for sale, but I do know they plan to sell kits.

V2.0.0-beta.2 has been released!

Check it out here: https://github.com/OpenAgInitiative/openag_pfc2/releases/tag/v2.0.0-beta.2

Added a lot more documentation. Should be enough to start from scratch and build out the entire device.

As always, feedback and all other forms of contributions to this project are welcomed and encouraged!

Here is a summary of the documentation:

• Instructions: How to get started building a PFC2
  • Bill of Materials / Ordering BOM: For all the components needed to build the PFC2
  • Bill of Materials / Kit BOM: For all components that are required for following along with the instructions
  • Bill of Materials / (Sub-BOM’s): Detailed view of component “packs”
  • Solidworks CAD Model: Comprehensive view of where parts belong in the computer
  • Drawings: Documentation for machining parts, or sending to contract machinist
  • DXF Files: File format used for laser cutting parts
  • Wire Harnesses: Bill of Materials & Instructions for creating the wire harnesses
  • Wiring Reference: Reference when wiring up the device
  • Connectorization: Bill of Materials & Instructions for connectorizing parts

With reference to cost, all links of the components have been included!

With reference to kits, they are in the works!

Furthermore, the footage for the build video has been shot! Post-processing will take roughly 1-2 weeks. Can’t wait to share it out!!

Cheers,
Jake & OpenAg Team

PFC 2.0 Beta Materials Cost: $2914

More pics! More pics! More pics!

Can’t find the instructions. Can you tell us what folder this is in and what file format I’m looking for pdf doc etc?

Thanks

The instructions are in the .zip file download, along with the BOM and CAD files. You can also view the instructions online here https://github.com/OpenAgInitiative/openag_pfc2/blob/master/instructions.md.

this is amazing. Thank you so much. I am beginning to purchase the component slowly one by one.

Got’em Thanks!!! I didn’t know what folder to check but I found it. This is great. We’re going to be building a larger version of this and try to scale up as large as we can.

Thanks again!!!

Hi there - the excel sheet in the zip file on github only has one tab ‘Ordering BOM’ not two as listed in step one of the instructions. Please advise - thanks!

I reached out to the Transition team for Nation of Makers (non-profit that has Adam Savage as a board member) asking them to drop by and participate in the forums and help our community members. After contacting them I realized that Kipp, the guy making the chiller unit for the PFC V2 is ON the transition team for NOM.

Whoops.

hi,I want some information about the Personal Food Computer, I want to know how it works and the principle of machine work.Where can I find this information?

@Forever The information on how it’s built and what’s included is above. If you’re looking for a general overview. I suggest reading the wiki or watching the TED Talk. I’ll link them below.

Thanks,but I want some detail,such as “What is the function of the bottle in the machine?‘’ ,“How to provide nutrients to plants”.
Or some details after the completion of the photo.:slight_smile:

@Forever - I’m working on a user-friendly guide to the PFC v2 and all of its components. It was originally meant for educators and students, but you may find it handy. I’ll post a link once I finish. If there is anything else you are looking for but can’t seem to find on the wiki or GitHub, give me a holler.

paula

Thank you very much.I am a high student.
Hope to add some pictures of the finished product to the guide.
When you’re done, please give me a holler.:grinning: