So, since I am completely stuck getting the RPI up and running I might as well take a break and update my build diary...
Let me start from the beginning:
After speding some time on figuring out what the intention was of all the components in de BOM I did my initial shopping, just to find out that many parts were not available in Europe, at least not in the same configuration as was stated in the BOM. Hence my initiative to come up with a BOM for European builders (does that exclude our British colleagues now ?? ) to make life a bit easier for the next builders.
Phase 1: Setting up the contruction based on laminated particle board, attached together with some left IKEA gear. I decided to use aluminium profile instead of steel and use rivets instead of bolts and nuts.
For the cover I used 3cm thick polypropyleen sheet (extruded) which is the same that I used for the tray. On the outside I covered it with styrofoam sheets of 5mm thickness. (stuff that is often used for building maquettes) to have a nice finish.
I covered the window with perspex sheet and added a copper piano hinge (as it is called here) and used magnets to close it firmly ( super strong yet small neodymium magnets from www.supermagnete.de)
Meanwhile my electronic stuff came in and a couple of sensors. The Raspberry Pi model 3 was just launched and since I need to use a wireless network connection this looked very convenient to me. Unfortunately the image file on Github does not work on the RPI 3, so I bought a model 2 as well and I have not yet been able to get that one up and running yet. I have no doubt though that with the help of my fellow builders it is just a matter of time...
On the Cozir CO2 sensor: I did find out that it is actually designed and build in Schotland and I had good contact with them. They even offered me a better price (85 euro) than the online offer from co2meters.com but they charged an outragous shipping fee of 25 euro... I told the that they should reconsider this amount as it costs far less to shipp these to the continent.
The 230V power distribution: I have been in the business of power distribution units for a while so I did have some access to gear that was needed to build a dual strip PDU (continuous and switched outlets)
The air exchange box:
I really did not like having an electric heater inside the unit as I intend to place my PFC inside a cabinet, out of sight. I also doubted the use of muliple fans (one for the air exchange box and one for circulation) so I combined to two inside the air box. This gave me the option of putting the humidifer in a vertical position with no 'leak issues'.
After initial testing I noticed that the led panels alone would heat up the temperature inside the the grow chamber to 29° C. I added a lamp bulp of 40 Watts to the IKEA (again..) box which increased the temperature another 3 °C. Let's see if that is enough. Just to be sure I ordered a small 50 Watt heater in China via Aliexpress.com. I costs just 9 euro so that is worth the try. It will probably take a couple weeks before it gets here though... (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-Warm-Air-Electric-Heater-Desk-Fan-Handheld-Electric-Heating-Device-High-Quality-Fire-protection-Materials/32652915334.html)
Well that's it for now... I will continue now whith my struggle to get the RPI up and running...