At last! An update!
Sorry everyone for the long delay in updates to my build but I'm happy to report that I'm ready to grow!
Using the Arduino output to test the sensors on the bench before pairing it back up to the chassis.
Evian water bottles were the only bottles I could find to fit the humidifier.
Lesson: Don't cross 12v like I did. I got lucky in that it didn't fry any sensors or controllers, just wires, you might not be as lucky. This happened because I was testing the LED strip lights using alligator clips, they touched and the blue smoke was let out. Edit: It's worth noting that in this picture I had the wire wrapped on the two GND pins (bottom left) instead of 51/52 so don't use this picture as a reference.
ISSUE 1: One thing I had to troubleshoot were the AC relays. When they were activated, the LED would illuminate on the board, but the relay didn't actually "click". I needed to tap them with something for them to activate. I thought the relay block may have been bad at first, but then I switched the ground wire to use the DC power supply ground instead of from the grove connector that was ultimately connected to the Arduino. Success! With the new ground, all the relays worked fine.
ISSUE 2: My light sensor wasn't reporting any information, and would "lock up" the Arduino when it was connected to the I2C connector. Upon further inspection I ordered an analog light sensor instead of a digital light sensor.
Once I worked out these small issues I wanted to see how high I could get the humidity in the chamber. I guessed it would max out around ~80%, I was wrong. It took about 1.5 hours to reach this level, ambient humidity in my garage was around 20%.
My grow kit is mostly assembled. Right now I'm waiting on the calcium nitrate and rockwool cubes.
That's it for this update! Hopefully the next one will include plants!