Where are you building your Food Computer?

Hello Abhi please contact me on 8095074733 or give your no bro

Hey @JohnB, this is exactly what I have been thinking about… looking forward to hear all about your efforts and challenges with your refurbished refrigerator. I don’t think that you actually need to cool the water in the PFC. There is no cooling in the BOM so I suppose it is not necessary and the PFC is a closed, insulated environment as well.

Hi all!
I’m building a PFC in Madison, WI. Got chamber built, and motherboard mostly assembled. Working on getting the raspberry pi operational (@JoshSinykin 's blog has been really helpful), and waiting on the humidifier/grove connectors/grove cables to come in.

Hi, still working, have more pics of build to upload, have slowed pace as I want to use the next version of the software, been following the progress on that for a few weeks on github and the guys are doing a great job. Have removed the cooling components as they were getting in the way. The fridge I’ve got had the latest coolant which is not hazardous to the environment but is highly inflammable, so thought it better to remove it in case of leakage and possibility of shorts with mains and extra electroncs. Some of the hints I’ve picked up do talk about cooling functionality on the next version of the Gro-Bot but still learning about the growing needs of plants so not sure about water temperatures yet.

Prague and London :slight_smile: With kids. Lots of fun :slight_smile:

Hi, I am from ChengDu of China.

Hello Caleb,

We are working with the Minister of Thailand and also are American and Brits and Thais looking to create the bridge between Industrial Vertical Farming and the Community. We are working on and hoping to have our funding soon for a 1000 to 2000 square meter vertical farm facility shortly in Bangkok Thailand. We are farmers and former global top 10 tech company business execs from the Tech software and consulting industry. We our setting out shortly to engage the top Thai Universities to engage with us and bring this Food Data Center to Bangkok. We are looking to be a part of the Thai Food Innovate Industrial R&D Park. Still a work in progress but never give up and never get any gallery art work wet. LOL. Anyway hope to bring value to both sides of the world as this is a global effort.

I go back and forth between Amsterdam NL and Kunming China, planning to build one on each side which led me to look into the BOM.

Parts sourced could differ substantially in quality and cost in different places. Would it be an idea to exchange an updated version of the BOM per country?

Particularly interested where @Peperoni @KevinLau and @flyshuttle get their parts from.

Hi Greg,
I am planning to start it in Abu Dhabi, UAE, would love to hear of your experience !
Is your FC by any chance a school teaching tool?

@Sam: Hi Sam. I bought my parts from various sources. It depends on what exactly you are looking for. I imagine that a lot of electronics can better be bought in China. Let me know what you want to buy in NL and I’ll tell you what shop I used, OK ?

Thanks! I’ve got the Raspberry and Arduino in China. Quite easy. I suppose the challenges will emerge on the fly. Waiting for 2.0 in the meantime, but suppose the hardware requirements won’t differ much.

Thanks for the offer and will stay in touch when looking for stuff.

Where: West Palm Beach, FL
When: Waiting for version 2.0
Follow: http://aeroponx.com, http://facebook.com/aeroponx, http://twitter.com/aeroponx, http://instagram.com/aeroponx

Hi All,

I’m thinking about building the Food Computer (and potentially a Food server if all goes well) with the kids at our school, I became interested in the OpenAg project after hearing of it as a potential solution to producing food sustainably and at scale.

However, after looking into the hydroponic systems a bit further, I understand that the sources of nutrients used in the growing medium is a) non-renewable, meaning i have to continuously buy more and b) produced using energy (from oil and gas) and water intensive methods. As such, I’m concerned that this method of growing is, in fact, highly unsustainable when scaled up and over long periods of time.

As the sustainability aspect of the method is key to how we plan to use the Food Computer at the school as an educational resource, does anybody out there know of a genuinely sustainable way of getting the nutrients into the water/growing medium?

At school we’re looking at cycles, and so the Food Computer seems great at solving problems when water is scarce, but given how critical the nutrients are to growing food, I’m hoping theres an answer out there that could also do this sustainably.

Thanks!!

@tomfff hi there. All plants need nutrients! The nutrient story with indoor farming is basically the same as with any kind of farming, since plants are the same everywhere. It’s up to you to choose a fertilizer that is renewable and sustainable. There are lots of options. Some people even experiment with aquaponics, choosing to nourish plants with fish waste.

Hi Kevin. I’m a graduate currently at Harvard but prepared to start my indoor farming business at China. Very interested in your firm !

Hey! I’m a civil engineer who lives in Kalamazoo but I was born and raised in Detroit. I’m am glad to hear that you are in the area and working on a project - this is the coolest thing since sliced bread! I just heard about OpenAg on an Urban Agriculture podcast today and made an account literally to respond to your post!

In the future, I would want to do a project in Detroit using controlled environment agriculture and I feel this would be a good stepping stone. Before jumping in, I would love to see your progress to gain a better understanding of what I am getting myself into. I have some experience in this knowledge realm but a limited amount. I took some computer science classes when I went to Western and have built a switch that flipped (to battery power) during power failure for an air pump inside an aquarium.

Anyways, I would be enthralled to meet up with you and if possible see the progress that you have made on your computer! Please reach out to me at rroberts[at]hurley[deletethis]stewart[dot]com to continue this conversation if you want!

Trying to contain excitement,
Ramon

Hi all,

My name is Andrew.

Haven’t built a food computer yet, but i hope to in the near future. I’m thinking i will build my own frame and divert from the 1.0 build guide / design in that sense. If i do it will probably be different than the soon to be released v2.0 as well. I hope to at least cobble something useful together at some point.

If i have any expertise it’s mainly in tinkering. I have a background in helping design and build competition robots in H.S., i successfully build my own 3d printer (Lulzbot mini) from scratch this summer and did all the wiring myself, i’ve been breeding unique pant varieties and have successfully used landrace / evolutionary breeding techniques to rapidly adapt crops to my climate, pests, and growing conditions, and i’m a linux user so i know my way around debian-based distros and maybe can help tinker a bit with the raspberry pi stuff in the future. I am a fan of Open Source and Open Hardware.

I am based in Loveland Colorado. @Mountain_Mike and @c4cleanenergy it’s nice to see other Coloradoans with an interest in Food Computers and the like. I look forward to seeing what you guy’s also come up with.

Where: Loveland, Colorado, USA
When: Hopefully starting Oct, 2016
My Blog: keen101.wordpress.com

I’m in Toronto! It would be great to meet up!

@KiwiRay I’m also a Kiwi (AKL). While we wait for v2 to drop, do you have any tips on sourcing materials and/or alternatives here in NZ?

I’m a DevOps engineer in Chicago, IL, but I was born and raised in a small town in southern Oklahoma - spent every summer on my grandparent’s farm… I’m shaking with excitement about OpenAg and I’d love to connect with any Chicagoans to collaborate!