Aeroponic/Hydroponic Growth Module

Hello,
I hope this report will help someone Aeroponic/Hydroponic Growth Module :slightly_smiling_face:

Aeroponic design guideline roundup

I took a look and see a lot of the information is based on assumption. For example, the rotary atomiser depicted in the document is used by the General Hydroponic Rainforest, which spins at 3000rpm but doesnt generate anything close to 50 micron droplets. Here`s an idea of what they actually deliver.

I experimented with centrifugal atomizers, (ULVA, CDA type rotary disc running10-15k rpm which produced 50 micron droplets) and found they are not suitable for aeroponics because they dont offer the required level of control over the liquid delivery. They are also noisy and less reliable compared to the other methods of atomisation. I would check customer reviews before ordering from treefrog/multiponics, they dont have a great track record for sending goods promptly or answering emails.

Its clear the author of the pdf needs to do more research:
Another major benefit to centrifugal atomizers is that droplet size is inversely proportional to motor speed. This means that if users are given a range of motor speeds to select from they can have some control over droplet size. This is a level of control that aeroponic systems do not currently provide.

Flowrate isnt considered in the above quote from the pdf, therefore one can assume its importance isnt understood by the author. He should realise that air atomising nozzles also provide control over the droplet size range but also the flowrate. They have excellent response and outstanding mist coverage characteristics.

1 Like

yes, you are right, currently, a fogging system has used to generate a very tiny droplet, it has a device called Transducer Ultrasonic Fogger. energy consumption is still a critical issue with these transducers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoJRBEecGXY

Youll find the droplet size is too small and it lacks control. Im an optimist and dont give up easily but after numerous attempts with ultrasonic fog i`ve concluded its not effective for growing plants.
I even tried transferring plants with well established aeroponic roots from AA over to fog and it couldnt maintain what was already there, the test didnt end well for the plants.
Some folks cheat by adding ultrasonic fog to a hydroponic system where the hydro does all the heavy lifting and the ultrasonic transducer just provides visual effect. If the transducer is removed the plants would be no worse off but if the hydro was removed the plants would soon be in trouble.
I wish you all the luck in the world, if you can grow a plant to maturity using just ultrasonic fog in the root chamber (no internal reservoir etc) it will be a first :wink:

2 Likes

maybe :thinking:

Many thanks,Atom, by this information you 've helped me a lot, I thought that the fogging method was used as an independent to the hydro method but the fact isn’t.
take a look at this review NASA – Review of Aeroponics.

Ive tried to help Lee, the owner of that site but he wasnt interested. He has numerous videos on you tube under the username hi tech gardener. It seems comments from folks experienced in hp aero are not welcome there either, he hides them so other users cant view them :wink: His slogan is to take your garden into the future and go where no one has gone before.
I guess hes a star trek fan who doesnt want a trip in a DeLorean equipped with a flux capacitor ;) He hasnt posted many root pictures so far but heres two that are light years from what i`d consider as true aeroponic roots.

hi%20tech%20gardener%20hpa%20roots%202016

1 Like

Based on your experiences, it’s clear that applying an aeroponic technique is not as easy as expected. actually, I’m re-designing a hydroponic prototype FTEK-Redesign.pdf (3.2 MB). based on FARMTEK INSTRUCTION MANUAL PVC FITTING PARTS ARE CHEAP AND AVAILABLE
I’ve completed the 3D Modeling i'm using DSM (DESIGN SPARK MECHANICAL its a good CAD tool for fast prototyping). the original product is called HydroCycle Vertical Aeroponic Systems it’s not a real aeroponic, otherwise, inside the elbow (plant site) small cubes of Rockwool are placed there. undoubtedly that the final product name would be a combination between FarmTek and SATR TREK :nerd_face:

Rockwool is very popular for vertical towers, i`ve used it but found it quite expensive and hard to get rid of. I try to use biodegradable easy to source materials where possible and actively avoid buying anything from overpriced grow shops. Things like coco mat, tubular cotton finger bandage (that comes on a roll) are good alternatives. My latest test involved 2" long x 3/4" diameter foam cylinders cut from a bathroom sponge. Pak choy seeds germinated in 5 days and anchored themselves into the capillary mat i was using to keep the cylinder damp. The roots didnt bother to root into the foam plug at all, so i know they can be reused if needed. It was impossible to extricate the seedlings from the capillary mat without destroying the roots.
Plan B will involve a short section of cotton finger bandage over the bottom half of the foam cylinder with the bottom end tied loosely with a piece of jute twine.The finger bandage will wick water to the foam so theres no need for the capillary mat. The roots can anchor into the finger bandage and beyond, so theres no risk of tearing the roots when the time comes to move them.

3 Likes

Hi Atom, :wave:
What is your tip about using a tray (cell tray insert inside a flat tray) elevator (Timer and motor) instead of a submerged pump in a bond system!

hello
I would like to share these rich resources about hydroponics http://hydroponicsociety.org/member-dashboard/
good read

Hi all, great place here. Thank you Atom.
Just found great aero nozzle set up and wanted to share.

2 Likes

Hi
Vid looks good. I suspect the droplets may be a little too small. If you look at the roots in the root tours vids, you`ll notice they are mostly towards the top of the chamber and have an umbrella-like structure. I think the apparent yellowing is due to the lighting in the vid. If that area is actually yellow it will be due to it being in the direct nisting path of a nozzle. Overly wet roots are typically yellow or light tan, folks often blame the nutrients for staining them but 99/100 its not the nutrient :wink:

2 Likes