Aeroponics home unit first grow feedback

AA is air atomised, the nozzles use compressed air to create the mist. The off time will be system specific as there are a lot of variables. For young plants and initial testing its best to err on the wetter side to ensure sufficient root growth. The more roots a plant has, the more mist it can intercept. An alternative is to use a medium like rockwool in the netpot to provide the plant with a secondary moisture supply until it can generate sufficient rootmass outside the pot. It allows you to run lower mist levels from the outset without any risk of the plant falling over…just hand water the medium to keep it moist. I built a precision drip system for the task, a big syringe full of nutes will also do the job :wink:

Thanks for the info, I will definitely be using pete moss for the germination and grow process on my next grow. Thanks for explaining the logic behind the off time. I am hoping to program an algorithm that takes into account a variety of factors; time of day, type of plant, etc. to take the plant from seed to yield, but that is far down the road.

Another thing I am wondering if my water temperature is too high. My water temperature is hovering around 72-78 while the nutrient chamber is a little higher ( i think becuase its white and not insulated) at 75-80. I am still brainstorming a control system to cool the water when needed, but i wanted to see how it did with room temp water. I’d love to hear what others are doing for this.

I forgot to post the link to my data sheet before. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KPuT-iOTEdDSc15g19V2P2styswsAR7SzqoUa_yP0Io/edit?usp=sharing
this should allow anyone to view, but hopefully not edit. I hope I don’t regret that.

Thanks friends

I would try to keep the chamber temperature around 68F-72F if possible, 80F is way too warm :wink:
The cheapest solution to root temperature control is to find a clean used chest freezer (top opening) and fit it with an stc-1000 thermostat. You will struggle to build an equivalently sized and insulated chamber for the same price and it wont have active rootzone cooling. The only issue is having space for it and sufficient headroom above it to accomodate the final plant height plus the light. I did some tests during a heatwave with my 170Lchest freezer root chamber equipped with an stc-1000 :wink: The stc was set to cool at 21C (69.8F) with the differential set to 0.3C so the compressor ran when the chamber temperature rose to 21.3C (70.34F) and stopped when it dropped to 21C.
According to my notes,the room temperature (outdoor brick shed) on the day of the test was 35.2C (95.3F). The compressor ran for 6 minutes cooling the chamber from 21.3C to 21C. The thermal flywheel effect continued cooling the chamber for a further 15 minutes where the chamber temperature stabilised at 19.3C (66.74F). It then took another 82 minutes for the chamber to heat back up to 21.3C. Total cycle time: 103 minutes, worst case power consumption 235w over a 24hr period assuming a room temperature of 95F day and night :wink:
Here`s a pic, not in use now as all my outdoor setups have been shutdown for the winter, the indoor setups will keep me busy til spring :wink:

hopefully some of the above is helpful.