Air Pressure Changes to Pump up Production

In 1983, I posed a question to the University of Minnesota Biology Department, but it might have been too early and there was no answer. Perhaps you are well enough on the way to make sense of this possibility now. I had noticed how weather routinely fluctuated between low pressure systems with heavy humidity and dousing of rainwater, and then high pressure with corresponding low humidity and sunshine. I thought that plant growth was probably adapted to those cycles. The humidity and rain focused the infusion at the roots in the soil, and then the subsequent drying, sunshine, and low humidity would transpire the moisture in the plant…evaporate it off the tips of the branches and leaves, drawing the recent rainwater up through the plant system while the sunshine and flood of water created more growth. I wondered if, in a controlled planting environment, you could manipulate and increase the cycling of air pressure and resulting water and solar effects to speed the growth of the plant itself, in effect, “pumping” up the growth of the plant. In recent years, I think this phenomena was considered for long term space exploration, but I haven’t heard the results. What do you think?

I think it’s a great thought that pressure could also be a variable in a plant’s phenotype. Obtaining the currently pressure is easy, however controlling it seems very expensive especially the larger your grow area gets.

There is definitely something about the fluctuation of the environment that plants respond to. Many cultivators like to give the roots a good soaking and then let them get quite dry before their next round of water. To my knowledge none of the “food computers” that I’ve seen on this forum factor in pressure. Currently it’s only temperature, humidity, CO2 levels and Oxygen levels (Caleb mentioned oxygen the 60 Minutes piece that aired this past Sunday).

If you were growing in space then pressure control would be a requirement.

Interesting qustion @juddallen