Calling all Educators! Who's using Food Computers in schools?

Hello,

Two days ago, I introduce the use case of the IoT + Agriculture + OpenSource the student use the PFC in Catholic Univerisity of South Korea. When I eat the lettuce on the plate in the PFC, a number of students surprised. They answer my survey about the PFC project, they have a huge interest relate to the problem of the future! About 2 hours is too short to explain more deep dive into the PFC’s technical architecture.
But It is awesome because I can show up my PFC to students and I can eat it with no hesitates.

On the screen, I display the PFC’s sensor data dashboard (Use the ElasticSearch Kibana Dashboard). After the class I take the survey report from the 140 students, In near future, I will summarize it and share with you.

Thank you.

KakaoTalk_Photo_2018-03-22-18-02-51_57
KakaoTalk_Moim_75I3azo2gcs9bfamDSW9sZSjT5mSVH

4 Likes

We’re thrilled to hear the class went well. We’d love to see the survey and its findings. When you’re ready to summarize it, you can upload it to our Wiki here. Can you please let us know what PFC you built through our survey?

Jake
Amazing news you and your team will be heading to the competition in April. Regarding all your questions, please read the update on the status of PFC design and software developments here. Please look to our stellar community members for support on previous PFC versions. Great suggestions from @wsnook

Hello all,

I am writing from Bristol, UK, where I am currently working with Grow Bristol, a small hydroponic farm in this wonderful city, as their education officer, designing and delivering a program to local schools, focusing on sustainable food systems - www.growbristol.co.uk. I have recently been awarded a very generous bursary by the Bristol Good Food Awards for my professional development in this area, to work with children and adults across the city, educating and inspiring people to engage with food justice and sustainable agriculture. Part of this bursary will be spent on a trip to New York and Massachusetts to visit and learn from some the incredible projects in your states, of which there are so many!

I am very interested by the Food Computers and how they are being used in schools. I would absolutely love to make a visit to a school that is using one and learn a little about them and the STEM learning that goes alongside. I am hoping to be over in July. I know schools are out then but perhaps there is still a group looking after the plants? It would be wonderful to be able to take some expertise back to England with me to better inspire the people of Bristol. I wonder if anyone would be happy to have me visit?

With thanks,

Florence

1 Like

Dear @OpenAgFoundation
I’m done your survey about building the PFC. In addition, last class using the PFC Project in the university, I correct 120 survey paper from the student who attends the class.

I’m writing to share this result of the survey summary URL( Google Forms).
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WC03r-fWoz7Eol3zhmd0smsDDA9KCk5aenO-Cdh3Qko/edit#responses ( It was written in the Korean language, you can use the google translate program! )

Our team would give the proposal which has an education program using the PFC.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi all! I am an educator working at a non profit urban farm in Moab, Utah. I am interested in researching and building a food computer to use as an educational tool with the kids, but because we are a non profit with a tight budget, I am unsure if we will be able to fund the project. Does anyone have any recommendations for grants to apply for that could be used towards this project? Thanks!

2 Likes

@ceav2b May be able to help. I think she put together a brief, it may be specific to Missouri though. Funding for Food Computers

Also, check out these posts by @openag, I’m also interested to hear if @OpenAgFoundation has any ideas.

How much are you looking for? Hopefully I can help further:

Thanks so much, @house!

1 Like

Hi @morgan,
We are currently working on solutions to increase accessibility to Food Computers by making them easier and cheaper to build. We’ll be making an announcement soon with more details. Please stay tuned!
Thanks,
@openag

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @house, great to see how excited your students are!

1 Like

My students have put together the Foam Farm – need info on how to program
the arduino, etc. as I have not found that info yet. Any help would be
greatly appreciated! I am a fish biologist, not a programmer!

Thanks,
Brandy

Hi! We are getting to the controls part - I haven’t found any instructions on how to code the arduino to control the temp/humidity. Any FAQ’s out there for this?

Hi Wilbur -

You can find the Arduino sketch code in the OpenAg GitHub repository: https://github.com/OpenAgInitiative/FoamFarmActivity/tree/master/src

I can’t help but be curious about your long-term goals for Food Computers and whether you’re planning to integrate aquaculture. @pspeth is working with several schools in St. Louis who are doing side by side comparisons of Aquaponic vs Hydroponic (non-organic nutrients) systems. You might be interested in some of these other conversations on the forums as well pertaining to aquaponics. I volunteer at several aquaponic farms where we have installed sensors to monitor the reservoirs using the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) Food Computer software.

Thanks for helping out @codekaizen, have you gotten that software to function on your Foam Farm? I ask because I know @melanieshimano has had some trouble in the past and I’m not sure if @openag/@OpenAgFoundation still supports/updates the Foam Farm software. I myself personally have not built a Foam Farm or got the software to function so I can’t be of much help.

Not started with the code yet, but I read through it and it looks reasonable. Part of the issue appears to be that there are missing components in the build - the Bill of Materials didn’t list the LCD screen, but it’s in the Activity Guide and in the code. It could be that it was removed because it was hard to find (I think there was also a CO2 sensor at one point) but the code still expects it to be there. I’ll try wiring up enough of the system to test the code out and report back.

1 Like

Hello, Nerdfarmers.

Last yesterday(11.03), My team assemble PFC with citizen community in InnovationFabLab(Seoul Innovation Park).

These people has a various background(Arduino Teacher, Social activist, Students, Engineer, Farmer - ), All of them enthusiasm PFC, Open Agriculture!

During 3 hours they can assemble PFC and control PFC using their Arduino IDE tools!
After 30 days, we will croppings Lettuces, Young Radish, Basil!

In addition to, Our program joined the “Fab City” project with Seolul. We are optimistic to introduction PFC to others.

Thank you.
Kgwang Hee Han.

2 Likes

@house - this is amazing! We love to see Food Computers being used in education. What were the ages and tech literacy levels of the participants?

We just posted the build documentation for the v3.0 PFC and would be interested in getting your feedback!

Please keep us posted as your project continues!
@paula

2 Likes

@paula

People who join my education program, their average age : 30~40’s. They has a various background. Half of them, they have no experience “Arduino”, “Raspberry Pi”. Last half of them has a deep experience with “Arduino”. Some people play job “Arduino teacher”.

But, this is only my experience with them. We are collect people on the facebook and online channel(We have not survey their technology literacy). My team supports DIY KIT for them. It took 3hours to assemble and supply electricity to PFC.

After assembling PFC, We are give “Arduino Command List for PFC”. e.g) on_led / off_led / on_fan_air / on_fan_ventil /ph/ec … They testing and operates PFC through their notebook and Arduino IDE.

In addition to, My team would expand the curriculum include the OpenCV to teaching computer vision through PFC.(In October we took first OpenCV class with who wants following PFC’s OpenCV Skills). And we are highly consider to teaching “ELK(ElasticSearch Stack)” to monitoring their PFC data and searching meaningful pattern on the data : )

Hello! I volunteer with a non-profit and recently won funding from Microsoft to start a food computer program in a local high school in Phoenix, Arizona. I am looking for help as to what computer might be the easiest to build with students. Have most educators been using a food computer kit, or building them from scratch? Any information would be appreciated!

2 Likes

Hello! We have worked with 3rd through 5th graders to build a curriculum that teaches computer science through Food Computers and plant science. Our curriculum uses written and offline group activities to explore the importance of computer programming, concepts of programming languages, and the basic principles of coding. Check out our curriculum below and feel free to remix it for your own needs!

FCS4ALL Curriculum Website

Please reach out if you have any questions!

1 Like