Calling all Educators! Who's using Food Computers in schools?

My students have put together the Foam Farm – need info on how to program
the arduino, etc. as I have not found that info yet. Any help would be
greatly appreciated! I am a fish biologist, not a programmer!

Thanks,
Brandy

Hi! We are getting to the controls part - I haven’t found any instructions on how to code the arduino to control the temp/humidity. Any FAQ’s out there for this?

Hi Wilbur -

You can find the Arduino sketch code in the OpenAg GitHub repository: https://github.com/OpenAgInitiative/FoamFarmActivity/tree/master/src

I can’t help but be curious about your long-term goals for Food Computers and whether you’re planning to integrate aquaculture. @pspeth is working with several schools in St. Louis who are doing side by side comparisons of Aquaponic vs Hydroponic (non-organic nutrients) systems. You might be interested in some of these other conversations on the forums as well pertaining to aquaponics. I volunteer at several aquaponic farms where we have installed sensors to monitor the reservoirs using the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) Food Computer software.

Thanks for helping out @codekaizen, have you gotten that software to function on your Foam Farm? I ask because I know @melanieshimano has had some trouble in the past and I’m not sure if @openag/@OpenAgFoundation still supports/updates the Foam Farm software. I myself personally have not built a Foam Farm or got the software to function so I can’t be of much help.

Not started with the code yet, but I read through it and it looks reasonable. Part of the issue appears to be that there are missing components in the build - the Bill of Materials didn’t list the LCD screen, but it’s in the Activity Guide and in the code. It could be that it was removed because it was hard to find (I think there was also a CO2 sensor at one point) but the code still expects it to be there. I’ll try wiring up enough of the system to test the code out and report back.

Hello, Nerdfarmers.

Last yesterday(11.03), My team assemble PFC with citizen community in InnovationFabLab(Seoul Innovation Park).

These people has a various background(Arduino Teacher, Social activist, Students, Engineer, Farmer - ), All of them enthusiasm PFC, Open Agriculture!

During 3 hours they can assemble PFC and control PFC using their Arduino IDE tools!
After 30 days, we will croppings Lettuces, Young Radish, Basil!

In addition to, Our program joined the “Fab City” project with Seolul. We are optimistic to introduction PFC to others.

Thank you.
Kgwang Hee Han.

@house - this is amazing! We love to see Food Computers being used in education. What were the ages and tech literacy levels of the participants?

We just posted the build documentation for the v3.0 PFC and would be interested in getting your feedback!

Please keep us posted as your project continues!
@paula

@paula

People who join my education program, their average age : 30~40’s. They has a various background. Half of them, they have no experience “Arduino”, “Raspberry Pi”. Last half of them has a deep experience with “Arduino”. Some people play job “Arduino teacher”.

But, this is only my experience with them. We are collect people on the facebook and online channel(We have not survey their technology literacy). My team supports DIY KIT for them. It took 3hours to assemble and supply electricity to PFC.

After assembling PFC, We are give “Arduino Command List for PFC”. e.g) on_led / off_led / on_fan_air / on_fan_ventil /ph/ec … They testing and operates PFC through their notebook and Arduino IDE.

In addition to, My team would expand the curriculum include the OpenCV to teaching computer vision through PFC.(In October we took first OpenCV class with who wants following PFC’s OpenCV Skills). And we are highly consider to teaching “ELK(ElasticSearch Stack)” to monitoring their PFC data and searching meaningful pattern on the data : )

OpenAG Brazil -- PFC 2.1