Can we get a comment?

1 Like

Working on it. Im pretty surprised and upset by this as you might imagine. Im going to respond but I want to make sure to do so in the best way possible and I’ll post the response here first. Stay tuned >>

1 Like

Would love to see some timelapses of plants growing in the system

1 Like

Here are a couple examples. We dont really focus on timelapse, but I think I will more now :slight_smile:

thats all for now I’m sleepy :zzz:

1 Like

The only response you need for BI then :slight_smile:

wish it was that simple :slight_smile: goodnight and thanks for reaching out @jas

Thanks for the videos. @Caleb

It would be great to get a comment from an actual grower. Do you have a horticulturalist on staff? The accusations are pretty damning…Theranos and Juicero are being mentioned. It would be great to hear from a grower about what’s going on!

What does the community of open ag growers have to say?? Speak up people.

3 Likes

My guess would be user error if 2 units sucessfully grew plants and 28 identical units didnt. Nutrient error seems the most likely but there are many other possibilities. i know of folks that have unwittingly placed root chambers too close to radiators and blamed the system when everything died.

4 Likes

Here is post where I posted my two cents:

Looks like you’re not working fast enough. https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/201900910-MITmedialab-food-computer

I was researching next-gen ag and the above article is how I found out about Open Ag. Shame.

I’ve been trying to scrape together the funds to build a Food Computer. Something stinks in this article. I never assumed that it would be perfect, but rather it was a grand experiment to reach towards an ideal.

The article seems to be conflating Epstein the pedophile with Joi Ito’s resignation with this project. What?! The author Erin Brodwin seems to be constructing “a story” rather than telling
“the story”.

Yes, I expect there to be crop failures, which is what all the sensors are for. But I also hope to have successes. Plant, grow, win/fail, review, repeat.

I’m still looking forward to my own PFC, and I live in a farming community. The local farmers here see the value of this project. It’s not either grow food this way or that way, but rather grow food both this way and that way and keep learning.

As an aside, I’ve been in the Open Source world for many decades now. When a project starts to gain traction the trolls arrive and start attacking. Not sure why this happens, but @Caleb consider this article as a badge of honor! You’re on the right track when people attack :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I think you make some great points. Good luck on your upcoming food computer build!

1 Like

We have to get real about this. Are you all responding with a “fake news!”? The New York Time just wrote a piece on this subject:

Considering the fact that you joined this forum two weeks ago I question your motives for being on this forum.

Computer controlled growing is nothing new, large cultivators have automated their grow environments for years. The OpenAg initiative is consolidating not just the technology but also the infrastructure into a platform. This open platform allows anyone to build their own grow machine. MIT’s small grow box (food computer) is a very basic representation of the platform that’s helping pave the way for the larger and much more capable grow box (food server).

@Greengrowing Hopefully you can become part of the productive discussions rather than the distraction.

1 Like

Gaslighting much? I don’t need to justify my posts. I am staying on the subject of this thread: Open Ag is accused of being part of a multilayered scandal.

Have you heard of the toxic waste that has Open Ag has been accused of improperly dumping?

Is this community unaware or not concerned by these accusations?

@Greengrowing Are you talking about the Nitrogen levels at 150ppm?

Hi community (old and new)
I expect MIT to make a statement on the waste water allegations this week. Stay tuned.

MIT just released this statement. More to come.

1 Like

So here’s another article that’s gained a lot of traction: https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/at-work/start-ups/mit-media-lab-scientist-used-syrian-refugees-to-tout-food-computers

What’s going on here? The OpenAG Project does not have the usual marks of a scam, yet here’s another article saying it is, and from the IEEE of all places.

2 Likes