CityFarm: How do you use it, and what is the potential?

Hi!

We are two guys currently working on a small research assignment on sustainable consumption patterns. We were hoping to get some answer from you guys: the pioneers of this technology. No need to answer all the questions, any answers will be greatly appreciated!

• How do you currently use the Food Computer and OpenAG?
  • Do you use it privately to grow your own food? Or do you use it with a group of people?
  • What do you do with the food you produce? Do you eat it yourself? Do you sell it? Or do you share it with your friends?
  • Do you upload your climate-recipes to the data base?
  • How much do you experiment with different climate-recipes? If so, assuming you discover an amazing recipe, would you want there to be a system where you can be compensated for your work/discovery? i.e. people pay you a small fee to use your recipe
  • Why does CityFarm appeal to you?
  • Having used it, what do you think is the potential for this technology? Did your expectations change after you used it?

If you took time to answer any of these questions, thank you for your time!

1. How do you currently use the Food Computer and OpenAG?
    A: I am using the Food Computer to grow lettuce, and OpenAg Github repository to get build instructions and forum to interact with other people and see the solutions they used for issues that appeared during build phase and operation.

2. Do you use it privately to grow your own food? Or do you use it with a group of people?
    A: I built it with my brother and one friend.

3. What do you do with the food you produce? Do you eat it yourself? Do you sell it? Or do you share it with your friends?
    A: Until now we have produced only one batch, and have eaten the food ourselves.

4. Do you upload your climate-recipes to the data base?
    How much do you experiment with different climate-recipes? If so, assuming you discover an amazing recipe, would you want there to be a system where you can be compensated for your work/discovery? i.e. people pay you a small fee to use your recipe
    A: I uploaded one recipe so far. Assuming all variables are controlled effectively, I think experimenting with the recipe is nice, so that we can keep trying to get a higher yield, with faster cycles. Although it would be possible to sell recipes, I think it’s more interesting if people would share them for free. Because even if we made money from our own, the price we would have to pay to use the top recipes if people were to charge probably wouldn’t compensate. We would have to assume that we, among thousands of producers, would have the best recipes, which in most cases would be false.

5. Why does CityFarm appeal to you?

6. Having used it, what do you think is the potential for this technology? Did your expectations change after you used it?
    A: I think controlled environment agriculture is the future for at least part of the plants people grow. The Food Computer itself is still not economically viable, but with decreasing production and operation costs, it could be in the future. Today there are already large scale systems that are beginning to appear around the world.