Do PFCs dehumidify air?

Hi!!

After some weeks studding and building my first pfc, I still couldn’t figure out:

Have the PFCs the capability of dehumidifying (reducing air %RH)? I understand it is pretty possible by combining chiller and heater, but I don’t know if it is considered in the software. If it is, how do people menage to colect water dripping from chiller and where does it go to?

The short answer is no, none of the existing designs do that–at least not in a way that’s effective and configurable.

From your other posts, I’m guessing that when you say pfc, you’re thinking about the v2.1 design. The v2.1 design is unsupported and deprecated. Basically, it doesn’t work.

But, this year, OpenAg has been developing and testing a new set of designs that should be significantly better. Rob said that OpenAg’s new stuff will be released later this month. So, if you can wait a little longer, studying the new designs will probably give you better results than attempting to use the old ones.

OMG! I really wasn’t expecting to read that. I’m leading a group of 15 people in a workshop to build some units, I understood v2.1 was running ok.

Sorry, but what means “it doesn’t work”? Not at all?

According to Rob’s comments here on the forum, the OpenAg team at MIT was able to grow some crops on their v2.1 devices in the fall of 2017. But, people who tried to get the software running in 2018 have reported serious problems (see this thread: Getting the software up and running). On the other hand, some people have reported building their own systems with custom hardware and software that are inspired by the v2.1 but that include substantial changes (for example, see OpenAG in South Korea). It sounds like those efforts have generally gone well. [edit: Also, people have had good results with the community “MVP” design (see $300 Food Computer - MVP).]

If you are prepared to write your own control software, you can probably use the existing OpenAg PFC v2.1 hardware design. But, you will need to understand the hardware very well in order to write your software.

/cc @openag