Flushing strawberry - BRIX Content

Does anyone flush their strawberry plants with just water or a flushing agent?
If so how often and how long do you do it for?
I flush mine currently every 7 day for 2hrs with a mid flushing agent.
Also what spacing do you plant? 4in radius or 6in radius etc
What system are you running?

Can I grow strawberries with a PFC(v2)?

Great questions - I too am growing strawberries and looking forward to your answer.

1. For all of us fruiting crop noobs out there (myself included) could you explain why you flush your plants?
  2. What are you using to flush now?
  3. I think spacing depends on how many berries you want per plant - do you know that answer?
  4. DWC - and an NFT, about 1000 PPM PH 6.1 temp 75 day 65 night 14 hour light cycle 265 umol.

My concern if I do not flush, salt build up will happen. Sodium toxicity which strawberry plants have high salt-sensitive to sodium.
I use florakleen by general hydroponics and just use 6ml for 2gals and run for 2hrs in the system.
I want the most berry I can get my goal is 1.5 lb/plant every 6mo ish :slight_smile:
i do run about 265 umol also
another question is can I feed my plant on a cycle of 4hr nuts and then 4hrs just water. would their be a big different?

Aeroponic design guideline roundup

I know you’ve posted a few sources regarding nutrients, but where are you deriving your “Recipe” formula from? Are you familiar with this?: https://cals.arizona.edu/strawberry/Hydroponic_Strawberry_Information_Website/Irrigation.html

Is flushing also an added benefit to reduce clogging of nozzles?

What is the most yield you’ve ever gotten from one plant so far? Do you know what commercial standard is (I’d be interested to see how much yours makes an improvement). I’m about to make a post documenting my recent failures of DWC strawberry :frowning: in the MVP (not the machines fault, I just think strawberry’s are tricky and I’m a noob).

The flushing agent breaks up all salt build up just not on plant roots so chillers water tanks and water lines and nozzles
Well I’m on vers 3 for aeroponic system have killed hundreds :grinning:
I think I got the fertilizer down now last night I did chemical plant tissue analyzed which came back good! Plants are looking healthier and growing big. I’m still have the effects of my last mistake so berry size is small but seem to be getting big.
That mistake was trying to lower the EC like in the articl you linked. It has set me back several weeks with plant growth.
That low of EC maybe could work in a outdoor greenhouse but for me not good lol
I have been learning what my plants like for the climite I give them. There is a different of plant hunger when you have set air temp and how much co2 and light etc.

That’s extremely smart/interesting - thanks for the knowledge share. This is definitely noteworthy as clogging seems to be a major concern to create a hands-off system.

What are you using for plant tissue analysis? - Also, how do you quantify “Good”, what is your criteria for flavor/desired outcome? This is something I’ve been very interested in after seeing this talk by Caleb: https://youtu.be/sZpPEuL0OFo?t=567

This is so true, @wsnook and I are discussing this here, and I agree that aeroponics is truly the way to master this equation: Aeroponic design guideline roundup

@jimbell @TechBrainstorm

@Jlniemi, when you refer to doing a chemical plant tissue analysis, how did you do it? what equipment did you use? very interested in measuring the nutritional content of the finished food product.

what plant spacing do you use?

Haven’t found a “Standard” yet. Especially not for HPA - what’s your goal # of berries for 1.5 lb yield?

Would appreciate responses to our questions regarding plant tissue when you get the chance ^^.

Thought it as appropriate of a time as any to bring back up this conversation:

my goal is 1.5 lb per plant for 6mo time.
the plant tissue test is extracting the NPK out of the plant leaf and then reacting with another chemical to get color change. the darker the color the more the plant has. it is far from exact numbers put on a spread sheet. but is gives me a general information to see if im in the ball park.https://www.enasco.com/product/C08709M
Now when I have an extra $$$$ ill get a spectrometer lol http://www.ti.com/tool/TIDA-00155

@jimbell @ferguman you may be interested in these sensors.

@Jlniemi How’d it go? Did you make your target yield? I’ve been seeing strawberry farms popping up all over the place. I’d like to hear how your scale-up is coming as well!

Doing good. Plants have 8 ish flowers to them at a time.
Still need more time to see how many lbs/per plant
Almost have my new table ready!

Thanks for the response, it’s great to have experts like you on these forums. Is 8 your goal? Do you pollinate all of these?

I believe my plants came with some sort of aphid, which forced me to toss a ton of leafy greens I had going. I think this was due to them being transplanted from the soil. I was able to propagate my own right into Rockwool now and am going to give it another shot here in the next few weeks.

Many of the farms I see allow for the fruit to hang to the sides of the plant (NFT/Drip Line). I’m tempted to try mine in just a simple coir mix just to mess around with other variables besides aero. We’re working on a larger HPA project with a university down the road, and hopefully will be getting funding for an air-atomised system.

I tried to go to the link you provided for tissue analysis but it was giving me an error, could you re-post that, I am very interested.

Lastly, I’m curious if you do any measurement of BRIX. I can see how with strawberries this might be a very important factor. Here’s a good instrument I found (I haven’t used one of these yet):

https://hannainst.com/hi96801-digital-refractometer-for-brix-analysis.html

Thanks I’ll be trying the BRIX out.
Yes I do pollinate all the plants. This is problematic because I have the plants to close together to effectively pollinate and find
Berrys
On my new table I have different spacing to see what works the best for lb/pt and work effective. Also with this new table the cost we’ll be $725 per table including the light. This will help with the start up cost with indoor growing.

I also grow strawberries on DWC

… I usally maintain 8 leafs and 5 berries per crown. I cut all the extra runners or flowers and leafs. I maintain 0.6~ 0.8ds/m for sprouts, 1.2 ds/m for flowering, 1.5 ds/m for fruiting.

Hi guys. Can someone tell me what refractometers you have used for testing BRIX? A friend recommended me to use one from this company: https://www.pce-instruments.com/english/measuring-instruments/test-meters/refractometer-kat_40092_1.htm as these are fairly cheap. Has anyone used one of these before? Or what models would you recommend?

I just got Hanna 96801 refractometer. it seems to work well.

@Jlniemi It would be very interesting to see what your BRIX results are compared to strawberries you could buy at a grocery store mid-winter. Let us know the results of your refractometer once you’ve had a chance to use it a bit!

I’ve heard results from Dr. Cheri Kubota that decreasing night-time temperature relative to day-time can have a significant impact on overall BRIX at harvest. Might be worth looking into further.

I’m avg 10 on Brix vs store bought ones are 8
I have a 8hrs on 8hrs off 4hrs on and 4hrs off cycle now
Also I’m trying amino acids to bring up the Brix
Out side temp has been -26f :grinning:_emphasized text_

How are you inputting these? Very interested. @jimbell @ATBFarms @arielle

Other questions regarding variance in BRIX:

• Is there a difference between a plant with many berries, and one with few/one?
  • Are you growing the same variety as store-grown?
  • If you let a home-grown berry sit in your fridge for (2 weeks?) does the BRIX content lower?
  • Does flushing have any effect on BRIX?

All of these would help you market your berries and the value of their local production when that time comes.

You might be interestd in this paper, especially the supporting documents at the end: