Food Computer - Gipuzkoa style

Hi all!

A new update is here…

The crowdfunding campaign was ended in december but the project continues. Here is my lack version. This is a cheap table (only 10eur). I add some 3dprinted pieces and this is the final result:

This is a frame that I made during the crowdfunding:

Testing the purple led lights before the final assembly:

I’m tuning the python scripts to make minor changes. I’m not very skilled with coding but… The graphs are svg files generated with pygal libraries. The standard graph has white background and red line. In my case I have a dark background and solid purple graph. If you read the info about pygal could choose a different skin:

Also I have increased the number of samples. Usually are 60, that means 20hour more or less. I have 144, that means 48h. I prefer a graph with 2 days or more to see the behaviour of the system.

Also I continue using vnc to see all the desktops. Here I have 3 MVPs in the same screen:

To connect remotely I want an IoT tool. At the moment I’m using Cayenne, I can control the turning on/off of relays but not the SI7021 . It requires coding because this sensor is not in the cayenne libraries. This process is in the pending to-do list.

In march I will made a workshop in Fab Lab Leon. At the end of march perhaps I will get a grant to make other workshop, with the help of my colleagues in Impact Hub Donostia.

And that’s all folks !

The MVP -was/is a "minimal’ build. Glad to see that you are taking that seriously and feeling free to modify the code and customize it to your liking.
That is a nice looking box, like the 3D printed parts.

1 Like

I’m very commited to discover nerdfarmers out there :slight_smile: The world needs them .

In my opinion the MVP concept could be minimal in some terms, but is affordable, and this feature is really important to spread the Food Computing

Thank you !

Some pictures of my workshop with the team of FabLabLeon that was held two weeks ago. In 8 hours the 12 assistants built an MVP Food Computer from the scratch that will rest in the place to make nerdfaming activities in the future. I was very interested to see this possibility and I’m now more confident to make other workshops if I have the opportunity.

In this picture I was explaining the materials they need to build it:

Here is the electronic board.

Here the people is testing the machine:

The test continues… I went with two MVPs to see the different frames and guarantee a fully operational MVP if technical problems make impossible to finish succesfully the workshop.

In May I will be with high school teachers to show them how to introduce food computing in their STEM actvities. Waiting more opportunities to spread nerdfarming.

2 Likes
Where are you building your Food Computer?

New update:

One week ago I made a short workshop with high school teachers about Food Computers to use them in STEM education. I went with two models to see them more in detail. 20 person attended the workshop.

Explaining the food computer concept and different projects and versions, MVP, Astroplant …

Explaining how to make a cheap frame. Also is easy to carry because is very light. Behind me is a recent presentation about “farming for future” in Red Hat Summit 19. In that event was @melanieshimano .

During some time I have been stopped because I didn’t found a cheap piece to fit in my new FCs based in Ebb&Flow technique. Finally I got it and can continue. Some pictures here:

The arlite is irrigated 6 times/day during 30min. I’m trying with several plants, leeks, onion, remolach…

Also I started with Kratky method. Here some pictures:

In this case I use an small MVP. Several lettuces with two different nutrients. At left the standard A+B, at right a liquid made with algae and microorganism. Diluted at 1:100 .

I use several jars to test the best results. Covered with a cylinder made with pieces of “Easy grow” mylar to avoid light inside the water. It is possible to remove them to see inside the root system.

See you in my next update. Good Food Computing !

2 Likes

That’s really interesting. Thanks for the pictures! I like your cheap frame that assembles with velcro and the Kratky method jars with net pots and mylar.

2 Likes