T plus 3 days
I started three days ago in my Food computer a set of 21 lettuce seeds.
Using @Rckco’s recipe of 50 humidity.
Today some of the seeds have sprouted already but more only 7 of them. still 14 have not shown any sign of life.
Also noticed when I checked the food computer that a family of fruit flies have settled into it… Bastards.
Bloody buggers were just hanging around not doing anything. Wonder how they got there? Nothing to do with the trash-bin I forgot to empty for few months
Well that is a problem. No idea if these guys are harmful for the salad but they are harmful to my nerves. No one stays without paying some rent. Fruit fly family needs to go.
Setting up a fruit fly trap is something I do at home every now and then. It is quite simple.
- Take an old jam jar
- Take some pieces of sweet fruit. In my case I used cherries. I split them in half and took out the seed.
- Pour in some wine or other alcohol. Had some dark rum handy so poured some of that in.
- Make a cone from paper or cardboard so that the pointy end has a tiny hole that a fruit fly fits through
- Set the cone into the jar the pointy end first.
- Use tape to tape the cone in and seal the jar.
Now the freeloading fruit fly family thinks there is a free buffet in the jar and will dive in through the cone but can’t find their way out anymore EVIL… PURE EVIL MUAHAHAA!!!
When I was leaving the shop for the day there was already a party in the Jar. No wonder… Cherries and 7 year old Havana Rum… I wanted to dive in too…