I am facing a problem regarding hydroponics

I have made a very small hydroponics set up in my house . This set up is made of waste edible oil container. I have planted coriander in it. The problem is its been 3 days and it has not grown even little.

Can anyone help me in pointing out what wrong might have happened ?

P.S

1. I have added nutrients in adequate amount
  2. I have also added an air pump to ensure that set up get good amount of oxygen

regards

Rajhans

Hi @prachu

Looks sweet and nice up-cycling!

Coriander Seeds need up to 2 to 3 weeks to germinate. So no worries about that :wink:

Here is a Link to wiki-how which provides many important information for you.

I wouldn’t recommend to use too much nutrients at the beginning. As I see from the picture you use soil for germination. So you won’t need any nutrients until they germinate in my opinion.

Cheers and much fun growing

Thank you for reply.
I have not used soil. It is some kind of fine coconut powder.

Hi Bataleon7,
I am a newbie in all these hydroponics topics, but I am also very excited to start a project in my country, a project in my home to start my learning in urban crops.

Could you recommend a hydroponic production guide for tropical crops? Bearing in mind that I do not have knowledge about hydroponic production.

I will appreciate any help.

Sincerely,

FTO

Hi ftovengas

You are asking another newbie :wink:

If you want to build something by your own, the mvp is a good start but not fully automated.

@ftovenegas Here are some links I found on google that seem to have good information on hydroponics in tropical climates:

Looking at my copy of Howard M. Resh’s Book, “Hydroponic Food Production”, I see that chapter 13, “Tropical Hydroponics and Special Applications” might be relevant to your question. Resh mentions that high temperatures are an issue which can sometimes be addressed by growing at higher elevations where it gets cooler. Also, he says that lumber can often be scarce and costly, so sometimes people will make raised hydroponic beds from welded steel, concrete, or clay bricks.

Growth media is another big consideration. Resh mentions using flood and drain style hydroponics with a media of sand or gravel. But, it’s important to avoid media that will create silt to plug the drains or react chemically with the nutrient solution.

Resh says another important consideration is protecting crops from excessive rainfall during the wet season. Picking crops that can tolerate some moisture on their leaves can help. Transparent or translucent roofs can help if they are made from a material that will hold up under intense UV radiation (maybe polycarbonate or lexan panels or roll-up retractable polyethylene covers).

The book gives more details and describes other methods like growing in bags or buckets using coco coir or rice hulls for the growth media. Also, Resh seems to assume that nobody would bother with trying to set up artificial lights for hydroponics in the tropics because there’s so much sunlight available.

Hello @wsnook, I appreciate your response and the sending of the links.
The quotes that you make of Resh sound very correct, although it should be considered that although the availability of sunlight and rainwater is a benefit of producing plants in the tropics, the proliferation of fungal and bacterial diseases is a very serious problem, as well same insectile pests once the rainy season has ended.
Because of this I find the application of artificial light interesting, since I seek to produce completely organic foods, although nutrition continues to be a limiting factor.

Resh also mentioned some ideas for controlling nematodes and for using sunlight and black plastic to sterilize growth media.