I need help getting started

Hi everyone!

I’m new to all this food computer thing, but I’m interested in building one, I’m 12 years old and I really want to learn.
Any suggestions?

Wow, congratulations on selecting a terrific project that will help you learn many new things, and will be useful for whatever career you eventually decide on! To begin, it would be best to find some local mentors who can help you with this project. One possible strategy is to meet with one or more science or biology teachers both in your school, and in your local high school, and tell them what you want to do. Bring along the plans for the Personal Food Computer (PFC), together with some links, and perhaps a phone number or two from people at OpenAg who like working with teachers. Explain the benefits of building a PFC to the people you meet: it could be a fascinating project to interest their students in science and technology and helping to feed people in new ways.
How does this strategy sound to you? Does it make sense? Do you have any questions?

It would also be useful to find one friend your age to go with you to talk with the teachers. Here’s a useful article for you and that friend to read before you meet with a teacher: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/17/smarter-living/the-right-way-to-ask-can-i-pick-your-brain.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Hi jerseyguy!

Thank you for the useful tips!
Interesting article. I’ll ask my biology teacher. Actually my school’s biology teacher is both junior high and university teacher. She’s a very intelligent person.
I have some questions:
Do you order all the parts to build the PFC, or do you buy them all at a local hardware store?
I understand that for the $300 PFC you have to buy some of the parts at the hardware store, and some of the parts at Amazon, but I saw Caleb Harper’s PFC video and the parts looked like they were 3D printed. So I am not sure if you order or if you go buy them.
Thanks for your reply!