Meet "PFC_EDU," the new PFC v3.0

Here are a couple links to PFC_EDU v3.0 pdfs that are on the wiki. I’m calling attention to these here because they’re easy to overlook–I just noticed them today. The pictures in these pdfs are good for understanding how the new system works.

1. This one has assembly instructions:
  1. This one is about the cloud UI:

Do PFC's work as intended?

Hello,
Is the kit available now, if not is there anyone manufacturing the pcb?

@Sidhant I don’t have any more information than what you can see here this thread and in the Manufacturing Q&A for PFC 3.0 thread. As far as I know, no one besides the OpenAg team at MIT has made circuit board assemblies yet.

Do they sell the Kit though ?

This is a community forum that’s gathered around a research project. A lot of the interesting questions here cannot be reduced down to a one word answer. Many people are involved in working on different projects and business activities. Some of those activities are discussed here, and some additional information is available on other sites that you can find by following links here. For other things, you would need to talk to the people who are directly involved. It’s possible someone is selling kits or may be selling them soon, but I haven’t heard about it.

The overall situation here is very different from a retail store. Building a food computer is a time intensive project that will require a lot of reading, troubleshooting, and navigating of unclear, fluid situations. If you don’t have time for such things, my advice is to check back in six months or a year. By then, perhaps a more retail-like option will be available. For now, if you read the threads I mentioned, you will find many resources to hep with ordering enclosure parts, circuit board assemblies, and other necessary parts.

No kits or PCB boards yet, sorry.
We are still hoping someone will fill that void - it won’t be done by the OpenAg team.
As @wsnook correctly states, we are a research team and that is our focus.
We are also still refining & improving the PFC v3.0 design.

tagging @tim and @Poitrast on the team here, in case they can help.
cheers and happy new year, ian!
-h

Dear @NerdFarmers,

I’m KgwangHee Han, my team(ByungDeock, SeoungJoon,Semin) started to makes new version of PFC in South Korea. I think PFC v3.0 is familiar with MakerSpace and their machines.

We are try new frame(Polycabornate) and new design which we are modeling in now. We cut Polycarbonate(8T) using CNC machines. My team woul install our recent PCB prototype on this model.(Raspberry PI + Atmega2560)

I like PFC v3.0’s assemble design, but we are not agree using Beagle bone, We would develop more Raspberry PI + Arduino(Atmega2560) Combinations.

I would share more information and our recent developments : )

Thank You.

Wow! That looks great, KgwangHee.

Wow looks great! We are trying to make a version of the PFC v3.0 in London, and are also contemplating making some changes. Which codebase are you going to use, since you’re using Raspberry PI and Arduino? Will your PFC be compatible with the OpenPhenome recipe structure, or are you planning on making it all custom code? We’re looking forward to more updates!

Thank you @Adrian-
I glad to hear your interest in my project. I expect that your PFC v3.0 : )
As you mentioned before, Our team PFC based on “Raspberry PI + Arduino Mega2560” combinations.
I programmed all codebase to running PFC. But Fortunately, a lot of IoT Platform likes a “Blynk” is good starting point to reduce development times.I’m not read the structure “Open Pheonome Recipe”, I convince to myself customization to matching their structure is not difficult.(I hope that :smile:)
I looking forward your plan and trying! Keep share to me.

Thank you.

Hello there,
Have you done the source of the pcb? Is it possible to join you? How much does it cost?

Hello Mr. Han,
Cool job you guys done. Hope to see more of our updates.

These are all so inspiring. I’ve been browsing this site since last summer, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger and go for a build. I would like to build a PFC 2.1, but I have concerns with the lack of lighting details. Version 3 seems to be geared towards educational purposes, and seems to lack the volume to grow many herbs at once.

PFC is so appealing to me, but I’m not sure which build to go for. Would anyone mind sharing their opinion of which build would be suggested for someone who just wants to have a magic box that produces fresh herbs and veggies? Would it not be advised to go after PFC 2.1 because it’s no longer supported?

Also, I am very interested in the Fermentabot. But it also seems to lack support. Anyone have experience they can share with the fermentabot? Thank you.

Hello,

Sharing recent development PFC v3. Finally, we have assembled polycarbonate panels and install sensors and actuators. It works well till now, in this week we will install Raspberry Pi camera and NOIR camera to take pictures.

At the same time, we installed “Pipe Connector” with HDPE Bottle. But it is loose and we have a problem “Leaking Water”. It is recent problem which we solve in this months.

Your food computer looks great! What are you going to grow?