Motherboard panel drilling holes

Hello all,

I am working with UNO university to build a Personal Food Computer.

We just finished building the base and the motherboard dock panel. We are currently working on the motherboard panel, but before we start to drill the different holes, we are trying to understand the purpose for each of them.

We can explain all of the drilling holes except for one. We assume it is for the air pump ventilation, but we just want to make sure.

Also, why are we installing a fan with no drilling hole?

Thank you in advance
Almog

Hello @boanosa

The hole next to the heater output is the heaters input. It is a hole going to the box the heater is in creating a circulation taking air from the grow chamber and pushing hot air into it.

Air circulation fan is just meant to create a little wind in the grow chamber. Good idea is to use spacers or bolts to have it be 10mm off the motherboard.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Here are my guess ( that are proven working since I have a running fc)

• The fan is used to move air in the chamber so the CO2 sensor gets a accurate reading
  • The hole next to heater, enable the heater to “suck” air from the chamber , heat it, and then send it back in order to be energy efficient.

I asked myself the same question and I decided that it makes no sense having 2 fans… Instead I use 1 fan only (inside the air exchange box) and let it take care of the internal ciculation as well… So it is permanently ON and, when required I can heat and/or humidfy the air inside the exchange box. Will upload images soon.

The purpose of this circulation fan is to homogenize the air temperature, co2 and humidity inside the chamber, but also to estimulate plant growth.
With air flowing past the leaves, there is more transpiration, which causes a pressure difference between root and leaf zone. This causes more water with nutrients to go up, providing more fuel for an increased growth. I think it’s something like that.

The hole next to the heater is to suck air from the chamber into the air exchange box, heat it and send it back. This way it doesn’t heat outside air and throws it in. If that happened, the heater would also influence humidity and co2, which is not desirable.