News: Controlled-Environment Lighting Laboratory (CELL) at MSU

For a change of pace from the discussions of software and kit building, you might like these links about what’s been happening recently at the Controlled-Environment Lighting Laboratory (CELL) at Michigan State University.

According to the HortiDaily article, Dr. Erik Runkle got the inspiration for starting CELL from talking with Caleb about possible indoor farming projects in Detroit.

I think this research is significant because it demonstrates an application of climate recipes with an emphasis on controlling the spectrum and intensity of LED lighting in many individually adjustable zones. From what I see of the alpha hardware designs that Jake and Dan are working on in the openag_eagle repo on github, the upcoming pfc-edu hardware will have lots of potential for similarly adjustable lighting with multiple channels of PWM dimmable LEDs. That’s exciting.

Links:

Woo! This is exciting!!!

Here’s another great LED site that I just found more recently: https://www.mikewoodconsulting.com/articles.htm

There are a bunch of articles on that page about how LEDs work, the different ways they’re built, and what kind of improvements are happening in the industry. I found it incredibly helpful for deciphering the cryptic things I see on Mouser’s parametric search for bare LEDs.

For background, Mike Wood works on standards for rating the output of LED-based lighting equipment for the entertainment industry. Superficially, that might seem unrelated. But, those folks apparently care a lot about the spectral output & intensity of different light sources. They need good measurements & product specs for colored lights. We need good measurements & product specs for colored lights.