Nozzle Afd series

Hi everyone.
I’m developing a HPA system and I am trying with lettuce, arugula, leafy greens and strawberry. I run a vertical automated system. Recently i decide it to replace the nozzles for the Afd series that @Atom recommends. So… When I started to probe it I was amazed about the super fine misting… so small and with amazing coverage… So when I finished to be excited lol I started to ask if that misting creates the high humidity and cloudy environment like my other nozzles do it and if increases the hability of nutrients and water uptake for the roots. Cleary I will probe it with a dozens o lettuce but for the porpouse of this post I want to hear your experience with this type of superfine nozzles and the improvement that it takes to plant grow.

Thank you so Much.

Erik Meller - Latido Verde

Aeroponic design guideline roundup

H Erik
The AFDs are a versatile nozzle, i use them in vertical towers and standard horizontal chambers.The hollow cone pattern reduces the localised mist concentration compared to a full cone pattern of the same diameter. Its best to visualise full cone nozzles as solid circular plates and afds as rings. When using multiple nozzles, you get a less dense, more even distribution as the mist patterns interlock similar to the olympic rings logo. Interlocking full cone patterns in the same way will result in much larger areas of higher mist density. I always aim for minimum density mist along with full coverage of the chamber because its much easier to turn up the mist than to turn it down :wink:

That’s right. So… The Afd series it’s only available in full cone patterns, for hollow cone usually I refered to Milwaukee nozzles, pnr spray nozzles or spray.com nozzles. Do you think for vertical systems it’s better to use hollow cone patterns? In my experience using full cone patterns I see the suspended particles and how they are floating down to the tube creating a more long cloudy environment for each nebulization… It think this environment it’s the goal for root zone development. Another thing @Atom with Afd series. I buyed the cream 105 degrees 1.1 GPH at 40 psi. Usually I Work at 45 psi and slow down to 25 psi using a smart pressure control it’s great! But returning to the point… Yesterday I saw the dripping issue of the nozzle… And it’s a big issue ! So I’m planning to buy the anti drop nozzle for the Afd series. Did you test it? Do you know another nozzles that you could recommend me? And how you solve the dripping issue. Thanks a lot Atom, it’s a pleassure! :wink: lol

I have the white, grey and cream hypros (AFs and AFD`s) and they all produce a hollow cone pattern. I run a minimum of 80psi so i havent experienced what they do at 40psi :wink: I use a lot of the grey anti drip nozzles and the response of the AFD is a lot better than the plain AF. Something to be aware of is the anti drip nozzles do require a minimum pressure to open the valve (compress the spring) before they will start misting.

Thanks a lot for the anti drip info … I could improve the psi to 80 without problems… But I remembered when I started to read at openag forum that you said something about the performance in low pressure for the nozzles and I believe it… That’s why I started to mist at 40-45 psi because the nozzles are designed to create a great misting pattern in low pressure or high pressure… So. Why you choose 80 psi? The are another things to consider that 80 psi offer that 40 psi don’t provide ? Erik Meller - Latido Verde

That’s the beautiful droplet size for the Afd nozzle

Hi Erme
With hydraulic nozzles the droplet size range, liquid flow rate and to some extent the mist pattern is linked to the pressure. Accumulators,solenoids and pressure reducers help to maintain a constant pressure compared to using a pump on its own where the pressure will go from zero-max-zero with each misting. When cost isnt a factor and the system is located indoors, air atomising nozzles can be used which provide control over the droplet size and flowrate. I dont recommend them for outdoor systems because the environment is too dynamic.

Totally agree Atom. With solenoids and accumulators I don’t have any experience but I read something about PWM for pressure and pulses control… I actually use a simply pressure control that slowly turns down the pressure for a max level, and seems to work great because I only turn on a seconds the pumps and works for a minute of nebulization. I will try with solenoids and accumulators. Finally for Outdoor do you have special nozzle recommendations ? I’m using the afds at a little green house lab… Thanks Atom! :wink:

The hypro`s wll work fine for that job. If you are misting for a full 30 seconds thats far too much, a typical mist pulse will be 1-2 seconds for accumulator equipped systems, 2-4 seconds for pump only and 1 second or less for air atomised.

So…2-4 seconds pulse for a pump in what timing cycle ? Frequency

Misting pulse and pause will ultimately depend on the system, crop and environment :wink: The 2-4 seconds relates to the response limitation of the system component (pump) rather than a recommendation of the mist timing to use :wink: Generally, you should try to minimise the number of nozzles and use the shortest mist pulse timing possible as long as it provides full mist coverage.

Atom… ITotally agree. The goal it’s to create the root zone environment in the camera and with the least resources. So we need to talk about the phenotype… How you define a great root zone environment ? I know that you don’t use a lot of tech gadgets (because you don’t need it) but actually you have great results Atom…

tech gadgets “and” nozzles could break the bank :wink:

OMG! Atom you have the point LOL… Actually we are growers first of all… And we need to implement the requirements for that goal and also to create the perfect space that enchaces the growing potential of each plant. That’s why phenotype it’s so important. And Tech must be developed only for that porpouses… Finally I’m an engineer so we need to engineering and not only develop all the tech gadgetry that it’s avaliable.

.I prefer to be more hands on. Kind of like free range vs battery hen :wink: