OpenAG in South Korea

Hello, I’m KwangHee Han. Our team makes Food Computer in South Korea.

In the recent, i posting a lot about the making PFC in South Korea. I met student, company, maker, hobbyist. Today i met two student(JinHyuck, ByungDeock), we have no any channel or community to talking about the making PFC in South Korea.

So, we decided to sharing and talking about the PFC on the this “open agriculture” forum and this thread.

In my personal opinion and humble suggestion, this thread is more helpful if we are talking using english(More prefer English than Korean.). Because i met persons have a problems, and i can divide two types of theses problems.

One is a local problem such as sourcing specific parts, government regulation, local farming tradition and culture.
Other is hardware/software problem which we are facing in now.
Doesn’t matter any types of problem, we can sharing our experience and problem with a lot of people in here community using english.

If problem which caused by “Local”, we can learn other country’s culture and solution through talking with members of this community.
And second problem which caused by “Software/Hardware”, absolutely this community have more experience #NerdFamers exists than our local community.If we are trying explain more detail of problem then we can find a solution or hint with others members!

I hope, a lot of koreans in here open and sharing your experience on this “open agriculture”!

And i hope advocate other guys through our recent, embrassing PFC picture!(Even i take a picutre 5minute ago.)

Thank you!
@JInHyuck @OkHan

And i archived past post from the South Korean members on this community.

Herald Business(Korea media) wants to cover PFC!

Hi , @house and I am really happy to meet nerd farmer in korea.

we talk lots of things with Kwang Hee today

and it is very meaningful.

I and ByungDeock are university students majoring in mechanical design

we are a team to build PFC.

we have many problems

and We are hoping that this thread will help us find solution.

I got this arduino shield from US just before.

let’s share building PFC in this thread!!

amazing!

I live in Seoul, and I am also interested in making PFC in S. Korea.
I’ve been working with arduino and rPi recently but struggling with software stuff.
It would be great if I can get some help from you guys!

=====
I’m posting hydroponics stuffs in my Opentutorials page, called ‘myway gardening’.
https://opentutorials.org/course/2304

Hello, TAESU, It is cool! I visit your “opentutorial” page.

Anytime, “Sharing Experience” is valuable. Keep sharing in this thread about your PFC!

Probably this “OpenAG in South Korea” thread help to each others.

First, we can sharing how to sourcing appropriate parts in South Korea market!(And we can find how to reducing cost to make this PFC)
Second, we can debate about “Plant” more localized in South Korea and “Education View” too.(Or any purpose or topic welcomed)

I have a curiosity about what kind of LED bulb using your PFC?

I look forward your answer and sharing!

1. I totally agree with your idea. We should find out best materials that can be obtained here. And then, choose crops, and implementing the PFC curriculum into education.

2. About the LED, for years I’ve been testing around various kinds of leds… T5bar, plain white e26bulb… or even fluorescent bulb. But what I found was that you should use red and blue leds, in order to maximize electricity efficiency. It is because the green light used in white led is wasted. To get some cheap plant growing bulb, I tested with some bulbs from Aliexpress. They sell few kinds of growing lamp in extremely cheap price, like $3 each. However, the bulb they sell is useless, because it does not match with the spec. What was advertised as 10W as actually 3W, and sometimes dangerous because 220V flows around the bulb! I recommend using led bulbs from Bitsol LED(http://www.bissolled.com/).

3. I would like to visit your place and see your prototype PFC, and get some advice on arduino and rPi! Would that be possible?

@TAESU

I’am keep trying find more cheap and efficient bulb in South Korea market. Until now i tried using LED T5, LED STRIP. In now, i purchased GE’s Bright Stick which recommend 300$ computer project.

In our projects, previous LED T5 Bar is not enough to growing plant. It is not bright.(I couldn’t measuring this bulbs “PAR” but 3-4 months trying growing plant under LED T5.

Our teams tried three plants in my office. 1) Chicory 2) Young Radish 3) Lettuce.
We can crop after 6 weeks with using LED T5 bulb. But we failed to growing “Lettuce”.I guessed “Lettuce” need more “Light” and control PH density.

On the GE’s bright stick “Lettuce” growing Well.

And, i measured “Lux” each bulbs(Probably 15cm from the bulb).
LED T5 : 2,000 ~ 3,000 LUX.
GE Bright Stick (16w, 6500K) : 28,000 ~ 30,000 LUX

In my humble opinion, if we find more light and strong LED T5 then it is more appropriate to using PFAL(Plant Factory with Artificial Light). But like this GE Bright Stick could be more well integrate with a PFC.

My office placed in “Buchon-si”.Inner building of Catholic University of Korea.(You can check more detail map of our office in the http://og.linchpinsoft.com).

I welcome any chance to talking PFC! (Just Call me before 2-3 days which you would visit.)

Thank you.

1. GE Bright stick uses white color led… and in terms of PAR, only specific wave length is absorbed fully by a plant. Therefore if you use white led, you are wasting lots of electricity. In my experience, one plant grow light is equivalent to more than three normal white led bulb.

2. What you called chicory is actually Endive(Cichorium endivia L. ). It is a good choice because it grows well on low light conditions, and relatively warm room temperature. Lettuce is quite picky, since it requires cool temperature, and high light condition. Lettuce needs 15 to 20 Celsius, which means that you have to use chiller in most common room temperature.

3. I’m finding a water reservoir that could fit into my PFC project. I’ve ordered this to experiment. I hope it will block the lights from outside, and it has right depth… about 8 centimeters. I will summarize the results when it arrives.

Taesu

Thank you, @TAESU sharing your experience and thoughtful answer.

I hope in future to growing lettuce well!!

And i have to consider chiller unit. I know if we place this PFC in the room. Sometime we need this chiller(Cooling / heating too) features : )

I usually visit “Daiso” shop to finding appropriate reservoir, but all “Living box” is not appropriate specification. I usually finding 8~10 cm depth. Finally you find it!

Thank you about sharing.

And this picture is my recent new prototype of PFC developing status!

I look forward to start refactoring my software and codes in near future after finishing assemble hardware features.

In addition, if you have a “Your Version” of PFC, Could you sharing in this thread?
(Absolutely it is cheer up to people who live in South Korea)!

More detail about my prototype of PFC, i posted on my blog “http://og.linchpinsoft.com/developing-pfc-v2-0continuing-answering-question-pfc-makes-rich/” !

Thank you for sharing your project.

I’ve just ordered t-slot frames for my first PFC, so I don’t have anything to show you yet.

But I have more than a year of experience in home hydroponics, so I hope the progress will be quick.

Currently, I have water reservoir, underwater pump, air pump with air stone, 2x 10w led grow lights, 12v computer fan and power supply. I will upload some photos when the t-slots arrive, I could start assembling everything.

I understand probably you will getting started make your PFC! It is really moment of excitement!

In my personal experience with purchase t-slot in our South Korea Market, some shop is really expensive than others. It is one topic for sharing with others market price of frame of PFC. Previous i paid 120,000 won for recent prototype to purchase t-slot with bracket and t-bolt and nut.

I have a curiosity about your PFC!

I have a question about your plan of PFC, What kind of sensor integrate to your PFC?
Such as DHT11, DB18B20, Photocell is really cheap and easily sourcing in our local market. But i have to order abroad shipping to purchase EC(Electrical Conductivity) sensors, Co2 sensors!( It took a 10 days, on yesterday i took it.)

Keep sharing about your story after assembling your t-slot! :grin:

@house I suggest we try and remain as consistent as possible with regards to what sensors we’re using.

Do you ever source from Aliexpress?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-PH-Electrode-Probe-BNC-Connector-for-Aquarium-PH-Controller-Meter-Sensor-gib-Best-Promotion/32781193789.html

Thank you, @Webb.Peter !

By shipping duration reason, i don’t like purchase through aliexpress : ( . I don’t know why it took a 3 weeks from the china to South Korea. )

Your recommendation Co2 Sensor is same or similar things on openAG’s PFC v2. I can find some Co2 sensor and purchased it through shipping agency company(It took a 10 days.)

After using it, i can comment about this Co2 sensor!

I’ve finished assembling enclosure for my pfc. I ordered online and simplified design to reduce cost. Still it costed $65 with brakets and bolts. I’m thinking of using lux sensor, temperature, humidity, water lever sensor, ph and ec sensor. I don’t think co2 sensors as useful because co2 gas disperses rapidly therefore it is very difficult to control.

I would be interested to know more about your experience with Co2. We have been wanting to build a module but are concerned our PFC isn’t airtight enough. I’ve heard of Co2 being used for research in the open-field which sounded absurd to me. The second problem is that when you try to control Co2 you cannot use exhaustive cooling, and must add in a cooling module.

@briandmcgraw @drewthomas89

Hello, all -

Today, i finished hardware assembling our prototype of PFC.(Exclude liquid solution).
It is operate well with “Arduino” serial communications. At the same time this prototype have a problem with calibration of EC,PH probe.(I finding now, how to calibration this sensors).

This week i would adding external insulation cover and MDF wood & Acrylic plant.
And i started study “ROS”, I have a curiosity about why OpenAG teams chose “ROS” platform. Because “ROS” means “Robot Operating System”, It have a possibility cause of implementation.

Until now, it seems good choice to integrate with a lot of sensors/actuators and some other nodes. Probably our project’s next stage is “Software” and “Data Mining”.

Thank you! #NerdFarmers.

2017.12.21 update

Added external MDF woods and Acrylic plates. And started communication between Arduino / Raspberry PI using USB Cable(PySerial Library).
I faced some “DTR” problem.(Whenever started new serial, arduino reset. I can find solution which using “termios” module. It is working now)

Hello, guys!

In the recent, i fight with growing lettuce(It have a not easy to controlling CO2), And my purchased CO2 sensor very sensitive with “Brightness”, because this CO2 sensor detect Co2 density using infrared. I learn new things today, I have to purchase sensor more independent(It is good learning to me). Anyway it is worth.

Last week i opend a “GIthub Repository” about my PFC codes. It is skewed(Not cleaned yet). But, if i have a time then i would pushing my recent codes to this repository!

I hope it is worth to others and helping them. And keep sharing knowledge culture(OpenSource Sprit!).

If anyone have a interest about the my code, i happy to answering to anybody!

Thank you!

#NerdFarmer

Good Morning, #NerdFarmers

I’m writing to sharing recent PFC project! I started making new prototype of PFC. But It is not different previous version. We called “Seedling PFC”. The last time I killed all “chicory” in PFC because failed supply water, they dried… It’s my fault :cry:

It alarmed to me, I think If our team makes more recipe and experiment, we would facing more failure to growing plant, we need diverse seed, and sprout of plant for developing recipe!

In this reason, I decided to make “Seedling PFC”. I consider needs and purpose of this PFC. And designed their size more bigger than last and settings low height. For this purpose I choosed LED T5 Bulb.

It is not completed, I’m not intergrate any raspberry pi / arduino. After install all micro controllerboard and sensor/actuators I would share more detail “Seedling PFC”!

Thank you.

You might appreciate this Germinator Rob developed:

@jimbell also worked on something similar as well:

Hello, #Nerdfarmer in S.Korea.

Fortunately, my team get the NFT bed to growing plant like this images.

Probably, my teams need the time to brainstorming to develop this bed. This has a only gutter and pump, But if integrate idea, I would install more peristaltic pump to supply nutrient / PH solution , and Some sensor(PH/EC probe) to tracking the status.

And they have no any LED(Light), In near future, I would install LED T5 to support correct light using the T-slot aluminum!

On other issue of our PFC, we started collect through the AWS Cloud form the PFC. I think PFC is IoT, it means that they have a great possibility and issue of the security and management(Scalability).

I compared 4 Cloud IoT platform : IBM / GE(predix) / Microsoft / AWS.
We choose the AWS with personal reason(In S.Korea AWS is more generalize and support a lot of the resource In addition, I have an experience a lot of the AWS relatively.

This is an excellent comparison. Extremely good timing as well. What is your plan for architecture within AWS? @webbhm @ferguman @drewthomas89 and I are all deciding upon a platform as well right now - and I think hearing your insight (given your forethought regarding a data model already and experience with computer vision) would be helpful.

Thanks as always for sharing @house - I can’t tell you how timely this is!

@Juan1 @JakeHart @Beskhue @TechBrainstorm @thiemehennis may be interested in this as well.