OpenAG in South Korea

@Webb.Peter

Hello, Peter. I summary of the usage AWS. Below Link. At this time, I started integrating this AWS cloud with my PFC. MQTT message broker and archive the data is awesome. Their MQTT protocol and management interface is light and comfortable. On this week, I would test “Lambda Function” to automatically publish the message to the PFC(If they find any Anomalous signs) and “Dynamo DB(NoSQL developed by AWS)”. This SaaS launched by user predefined rule on the AWS IoT architecture.

I have a huge interest “AWS Green Grass”. Absolutely, In near future, I would start discussing how to use this “Local Control Tower.”

Until now, my database ERD would have to change to consider AWS Dynamo DB design guide(Partition Key, sort key base). last my ERD is specialized on the RDBMS, but this “Normalization” does not demand on the Dynamo DB(My personal view).

After testing this integration, I would share the AWS architecture integration of the PFC as soon as.

And, If exists someone who has a consider AWS, I hope to discuss with them this architecture and bird-eye view!

Thank You : )

@Webb.Peter
If you want comparison each cloud platform in the IoT context. I recommend this book "
“Enterprise IoT: A Definitive Handbook”(https://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-IoT-Definitive-Navveen-Balani-ebook/dp/B01724HIOC/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=). I reading now, and it helps to compare each cloud platform in the IoT context.

Hello, All #Nerdfarmers in S.Korea.

The very small group in S.Korea, we started to offline meet up in S.Korea. We have no any clear goal or purpose, Just sharing anything which we have.

We have a plan to meet once two weeks, on the Seoul. We could talk about the guide of the PFC and source the part or teach ourselves programming and hardware and agriculture. On the coming on Thursday(15) ~ Friday(16) we would make the PFC.

We are lent the one room(27 hours continuously) of the Study Cafe in near Sadang Station(Line 4) on the Seoul.We are welcome anybody who has a curiosity and enthusiasm about the PFC.

We would develop our community to share knowledge and break the huddle to start PFC.

If you have an interest call me or contact me through this Email ( house9737@gmail.com )

========

안녕하세요,

한국에 많은 “NerdFarmer” 가 생기길 고대하는 한광희입니다.

한국에서 PFC를 만들고 있는 분들, 혹은 앞으로 만들고자 하는 분들을 위한 자그만한 모임을 만들고자 합니다. 2주에 1번 정도 모여 PFC 뿐만 아니라 농업,기술,하드웨어,소프트웨어 등 많은 이야기를 하길 기대합니다. 관심 있는 분은 house9737@gmail.com 메일 보내주세요!

감사합니다.

Hello, #Nerdfarmers.

I find some candidate of the growing LED in S.Korea. Today I visit their office in near the GasanDigital Station(Line number 2 in Seoul Metro). I bought three LED bulb(E26 size) and two LED tube(40W,12DVC,1200mm). It is expensive than the general type bulb.

This company introduces well their specification of the LED include the PPFD and Usage on the Plant Factory in S.Korea. I have to watch this LED’s effectiveness in the growing plant context. On their explain about the LED bulb, Each bulb has a 66 PPFD(From the 30cm distance). For this reason, I installed three LED on the top of the PFC.(Totally about 200 PPFD, On some report, explained to growing lettuce they need to set the minimum 150 PPFD )

If someone who want LED seller contact, I can give the office phone number, But I have to experiment this LED at least one month!

2018.02.14 updated. Add youtube introduction video.

Thank you-

From KgwangHee Han

Hello, #NerdFarmer

We have the first meetup in S.Korea. We are no many people in Here(S.Korea). But we have a huge enthusiasm about the develop the PFC project. In this time, we have a goal to develop the one PFC in the 30 hours. But we are failed. Because we have to prepare the extra part!(Arduino Mega which we prepare is broken).

I learned of one of the lessons through this first meetup, “Preparing the Extra Parts!”. Any way we could talk the design and share the material and source the parts.I summarized our activity in the first meetup in South Korea.

1.WHEN : 2018.02.15. AM 09 ~ 02.16. AM 01
2.WHERE : Study Cafe in near Sadang Station(Line number 4) in S.Korea
3.Whom : KgwangHee,JinHyuck, ByeongDuck
4.Activities

• Assembling the Frame of the PFC
    ** Usual issues are the sourcing the best material to assemble the PFC (Is t-slot is best and which bracket is best thing?)
  • Sharing the sourcing the parts of the PFC in Local/Abroad(Amazon) Market
    ** Such as Chiller is hard to sourcing in S.Korea. Which one is the best alternative to our Local Market?
    ** In addition, Water Circulation to cold the temperate is really efficient?
  • Assemble the parallel circuit of the LED, Heater, Pump…
    ** We have to put the fuse to prevent overflowing the current?
  • Try the connect the sensor(EC, PH) to Arduino(It is failing. I mentioned early, our Arduino mega looks seem broken. )
    ** Usually these sensors which listed on the BOM of the MIT PFC2 is expensive to import on our local market, What is the good strategy to reduce this cost?
  • Sharing of the Idea to developing PFC.
    ** What is the real positioning of this PFC project in the S.Korea Agriculture Industry?

A number of question and any idea is valuable on this time.

i cutted the white cover of LED bulbs… it gives you about 25%+ more light.

I bought Tinyfarmer sensor & arduino set, which is kind of off-the-shelve version of PFC. they provide free cloud service for recording sensor data. I will try these out soon and share how it works.

@TAESU
Hello, Taesu, I have an interest your PFC version If you fine, then keep sharing please : ) Along with share information about the distributor and alternative parts is really valuable! In addition, It looks seems sensors on the pictures such as “am2315”,“ds18bs20”, PH probe is compatible.
And this board on the picture is highly valuable to source the to “Signal Board” in Local Market.

And, I attached some LED(Growing Plant) distributor information in the S.Korea. I installed their LED, Three BULB on the PFC measured about 150 PPFD ( From the 20 cm ).
Distributor URL : http://www.bissolled.com/ (Absolutely, More LED company exists in the Local Market. If you have a information tell me :slight_smile: . if we can make the LED plate using the LED SMD is the best strategy and fit into the Maker Attitude without purchase complete LED bulb. I hope that makes the our custom LED plate version in near future)

Recent Make Diary.2018.03.01

Hello, #nerdfarmers,

I’m writing to share the recent development of my PFC and their relate issues.
1. Added Peristaltic Pump * 4EA on the PFC

1-1) PH ( - )
1-2) PH ( +)
1-3) Nutrition Solution A
1-4) Nutrition Solution B
Each Peristaltic Pump operates by 6 DVC and has a supply liquid speed 1.5ml/s (I experiment with this). About the water on the reservoir is 2L. I dilute ratio is 1/400(solution/water). To take this accurate ratio, I programmed on the Arduino (with dealy(3300)- supply 5ml ) function.

In addition, I couldn’t find the best solution to control the PH. So, I find the alternative way. To control PH(-) is “Citric acid”, PH(+) “baking soda”. I’m not convinced this way, I would study and experiment with it.

2. Software Problem. (Critical)
I have a critical problem with the signal communication between the Arduino and raspberry pi. I’m not solved yet(But I would not give up.). Sometimes stop and disconnection after a while(Serial gone-). This disconnection invokes the problem of the control with the remote.)

In the initial, I used USB signal and tried “Termios” python library to prevent reset by the signal.open() process.(It prevented the reset problem, but not solved “Signal gone after some time”).
Second, I try I2C(Inter-Integrated Circuit) communication, But it does not solve this problem.
Third. “Arduino reset” is one of the manual solving. So, I put the “RESET FUNCTION” every 12 hours interval on the Arduino codes. After Reset, signal, and I2C are recovered. But, their states is gone relate to the LED, Air fan, Air pump… It “Needs” tracking the status on the remote or other machines (Raspberry PI).
Fortunately, AWS IoT(I integrated AWS IoT architecture on my PFC) has a “Device Shadow” feature is would solve this problem(Tracking and manage the state of the device(PFC) even network disconnection or Arduino reset).

device-shadowsrules-engine-6-638

3.Using the Styrofoam Plate on the reservoir

I purchased Styrofoam Plate and put in the reservoir to more fitting the pot and tubes. It is tricky. It means that I couldn’t trust safety for food this “Styrofoam”. I couldn’t find any approved “Food Grade” styrofoam in the S.Korea Local market.

4.OpenCV issues
After changing the LED, “Growing Plant” color on the picture is not clear. I would find the more efficient way to detect an object and abstract the feature. I heard that “Augmentation” methodologies in the Deep Learning Context(Probably “Tensorflow” library). Augmentation is the one key to training the image which generates by the PFC( Very limited picture quantity, I need more information and experience). But I have no experience yet, but I try soon.

Thank you. Anyone who has an interest or knowledge with relating my issues, contact me please!

Thank you.

Hi @house,

Unfortunately, as I’ve been telling people lately, the PFC v2 design has some significant problems. As far as I can tell, Caleb’s hardware and software teams at MIT are focused on finishing a set of new designs that they plan to announce some time this year. While we don’t have any official word from OpenAg yet, it seems like the PFC v2 design is effectively unsupported now. But, it does look like they are making great progress with moving forward on a new iteration of their designs. While progress on new designs is exciting to me, I understand how it’s probably not of much help for your current problem.

Based on what I’ve seen in previous forum discussions, notes on the wiki, etc. nobody has ever gotten the pH adjustment system to work properly using cheap peristaltic pumps. [edit: there are certainly peristaltic pump systems that work well, like for aquariums, but I think those use higher quality pumps and larger tanks] The cheap pumps move liquid too fast, sometimes the hoses melt from friction and leak, and I suspect there may be problems with too much current draw or inductive transients from the motors or relays. If you monitored the power supply voltage to the Arduino using an oscilloscope, you might discover voltage drops that are big enough to reset the Arduino. If your Arduino temporarily loses power, that would probably cause ROS to generate errors about serial communication problems. I have also seen people discussing problems with ROS and the Arduino firmware that caused serial port errors. I think that was last summer or fall. You might be able to find more about it by searching old forum posts for “serial”.

I haven’t heard anyone talking about OpenCV stuff here for a long time. There is another project called PlantCV that @Webb.Peter has said good things about. Maybe you would like it too.

Here’s another thread where I gave a bunch of ideas about possible ways of getting the PFC v2 hardware to work for growing food: Getting the software up and running

An update of my PFC.
I purchased a grow light set from Amazon which has far-red led diodes. I hope it works well. I’ve also started colleting data from sensors I bought before.

Dear #NerdFarmers,

I integrated ElasticSearch Dashboard to watching my PFC sensor Data. It is easy to install and throw the ElasticSearch DB. I installed “FileBeat” on Raspberry Pi, this software throw the sensor data to ElasticSearch Server(Especially Logstash take this data and parsing the data format and insert to the Elasticsearch DB).

I attached the “Kibana” Dashboard to show up the sensor data. I would find the way to use the ElasticSearch feature(Such as Full-text search engine and system monitoring! )

Dear NerdFarmer in S.Korea.

In recent, I made the new prototype PFC, In near time I would add the actuator to control the temperature in the
PFC. We are head to the summer, Our S.Korea OpenAG members have a problem which how to cool down in the PFC.

Following image shows up the Monitoring web dashboard which using the ElasticSearch Kibana. It is very helpful to monitor the status of the PFC.

Hi Taesu,
Would you be okay with sending me a link of where you purchased the frame.I am really interested in making a PFC but i dont know where to start.

kind regards

Dear #NerdFarmer,

In the last day(04.12), My team joined the exhibition in JEJU island of S.Korea. In this exhibition which “KCTA(Korea Cable TV Association) SHOW 2018”, we are belong smart farm category and exhibited my PFC project. As you know, government officer and local business owner has an interest in the agriculture industry.

In this exhibition, minister of Ministry of Science and ICT(S.Korea) visits our booth and listening to the PFC project explanation. It is great experience to me.

Thank you.

It has been 20days since I started growing something on my food computer. Everything seems going well, although the water temp reaches above 26-28 degrees celcius.

@TAESU

It is cool, Could you explain which plants growing on the PFC? Probably 4 unique plants growing, and one type is Chicory? Is it right?
In addition, Could you share the graph of you sensor? I have a huge interest about the Water Temperature and Air Temperature.

I really like your new frame design though for taller plants like tomatoes (not lettuce) perhaps a little more height would be good.

Have you thought about an orange colored plexiglass/acrylic door/cover to help filter out the bright UV light on peoples eyes?

Dear @BioLumo,
I have a doubt about your opinion, why did you want prevent this UV wavelength? It is harmful you our eyes? In addition, I have no any experience which LED with UV wave length.

Honestly speaking, Some specific UV wavelength would be helpful to growing to effect. What do you think?

Well, good questions. I can’t speak to your specific LED lights, but most LED grow lights have some UV light past the blue spectrum that is output. Sometimes this is intentional and sometimes it is just because they are cheap cost from China. The LED grow light i have does and is somewhat hard on my eyes so i try to avoid it when i can.

But yes UV light is harmful to human eyes but it can be good for plants. It is needed for anthocyanin production for sure which are thought to be antioxidants and good for human health.

So i don’t know about your specific light. But i thought I’d mention it. Other people with greater experience than i can help advise you how to check or what to do. Orange accrylic can help filter out blue light and is often found on gel electrophoresis transilluminators that use UV light to light up DNA.

Dear #NerdFarmer,

I have a presentation in AWS(Amazon Web Service) Summit Seoul 2018 for title "Integration AWS IoT Architecture with Personal Food Computer at 2018.04.19(COEX)

Early In this year, I tried integration AWS in PFC. Using MQTT Protocol and AWS CLI and AWS IoT/ Lamda Function… I have a successful integration AWS Architecture on my PFC project. I attached picture of recent presentation and slides URL.

I hope that discussion with people who have interest integration AWS IoT or Cloud Service. Contact me, please!

I’m afraid to attach presentation slide because It written in Korean language but included Chart and Diagram would be easy to understand my Architecture.
Presentation Slides : https://www.slideshare.net/awskorea/development-of-personal-food-computer-using-aws-iot-hangwanghui

Thank You.

From KgwangHee Han.