Peperoni's build diary (NL, March 22, 2016)

So, this is going to be my diary: I started at the end of March end at the time of writing this I am still in the ‘construction phase’. It apprears to be more work than I anticipated…:slight_smile:
I will post some images soon, I am not sure what the best method for this is… Instagram ?
Anyway… at the moment I am puzzled by the humidifier. I got (finally, because they are hard to get here in Europe) the bottle cap humidifier, but I don’t see how it fits on a bottle. Especially when the bottle is supposed to be horizontal. I have not found a bottle yet the fits the inner diameter of the bottle cap humidifier. Hence the water will run out when mounted horizontally… any suggestions from my fellow builders ?

I noticed that the bottle that comes with the humidifier appears to press fit, instead of screw into the top. I filled it up and put it on its side for the last 2 weeks. So far I have not seen it leak.

Bottle cap hack:
I discovered that there are probably different standard size for bottle caps in the US and Europe as I wasn’t able to find a bottle that would actually fit the bottle-cap humidifier.
In order to make if work I opened the bottle cap humidifier:

to see what the problem is I add these two images:

Luckily I noticed that as part of the BOM I had some empty plastic bottles like these:
So, by cutting of the cap and glue it inside the bottle cap receptacle of the humidifier I now have a solution that doesn’t leak when it is mounted horizontally:

It actually works ! :grinning:

I had the same problem, None of the bottles seemed to fit, but eventually I found an Evian bottle at the Xenos store (Dutch retail store) and that fitted.

Air box modification / question:
Did someone experiment with the humidifier to connect it to the bottom of the airbox instead of mounting it horizontally into the grow chamber ? My idea is that it is easier to build (humidifier is intended for vertical use) and if you make sure that the fan in the airbox is always ON when the humidifier is ON, there should be no issues with condensation… or am I wrong ??

@Peperoni I found this on the Internetz and it has what you speak off.
Also seems to have some sort of system to control the nutrition fluids…

I assume that it must be from someone here in the forum… would be interesting to know who and what he/she has modified. But you are right, it is exactly what I had in mind.

So, since I am completely stuck getting the RPI up and running I might as well take a break and update my build diary…
Let me start from the beginning:
After speding some time on figuring out what the intention was of all the components in de BOM I did my initial shopping, just to find out that many parts were not available in Europe, at least not in the same configuration as was stated in the BOM. Hence my initiative to come up with a BOM for European builders (does that exclude our British colleagues now ?? :slight_smile: ) to make life a bit easier for the next builders.

Phase 1: Setting up the contruction based on laminated particle board, attached together with some left IKEA gear. I decided to use aluminium profile instead of steel and use rivets instead of bolts and nuts.

For the cover I used 3cm thick polypropyleen sheet (extruded) which is the same that I used for the tray. On the outside I covered it with styrofoam sheets of 5mm thickness. (stuff that is often used for building maquettes) to have a nice finish.
I covered the window with perspex sheet and added a copper piano hinge (as it is called here) and used magnets to close it firmly ( super strong yet small neodymium magnets from

Meanwhile my electronic stuff came in and a couple of sensors. The Raspberry Pi model 3 was just launched and since I need to use a wireless network connection this looked very convenient to me. Unfortunately the image file on Github does not work on the RPI 3, so I bought a model 2 as well and I have not yet been able to get that one up and running yet. I have no doubt though that with the help of my fellow builders it is just a matter of time…

On the Cozir CO2 sensor: I did find out that it is actually designed and build in Schotland and I had good contact with them. They even offered me a better price (85 euro) than the online offer from but they charged an outragous shipping fee of 25 euro… I told the that they should reconsider this amount as it costs far less to shipp these to the continent.

The 230V power distribution: I have been in the business of power distribution units for a while so I did have some access to gear that was needed to build a dual strip PDU (continuous and switched outlets)

The air exchange box:
I really did not like having an electric heater inside the unit as I intend to place my PFC inside a cabinet, out of sight. I also doubted the use of muliple fans (one for the air exchange box and one for circulation) so I combined to two inside the air box. This gave me the option of putting the humidifer in a vertical position with no ‘leak issues’.

After initial testing I noticed that the led panels alone would heat up the temperature inside the the grow chamber to 29° C. I added a lamp bulp of 40 Watts to the IKEA (again…) box which increased the temperature another 3 °C. Let’s see if that is enough. Just to be sure I ordered a small 50 Watt heater in China via I costs just 9 euro so that is worth the try. It will probably take a couple weeks before it gets here though… (

Well that’s it for now… I will continue now whith my struggle to get the RPI up and running…

A couple more images:

Finally… My set up it running (still using a patch cable though untill I have the wifi configured correctly to automatic connect at startup…)
This is great. Exactly how I intended it. Now I to decide if I can still go on holidays with my wife as we intend to leave in 2 weeks. That means that I cannot start a grow cycle now as we will be gone for 3 to 4 weeks. Do you think I can convince my wife to stay at home and eat delicious lettuce this year ??

Question on the Github Raspberry Pi image

Great job man :slight_smile: