Raspberry Pi hardware differences

Hello All! I’ve been assembling the list of materials to purchase, and with the release of the Raspberry Pi 3, I just wanted to confirm that I can upload the software as I would on the Raspberry Pi 2. I do not have experience in operating systems, so I would be limited in my abilities to troubleshoot conflicts, but if I can get an improved piece of hardware for more or less the same cost I would readily do so. Does anybody have any experience in this?

They are nothing important for our use. In the Pi 2 you don’t have the Wifi but in the Pi 3 he don’t work perfectly!

Ahh, I see. Thanks Richard! I have ethernet available, but ended up picking up a pi 3 regardless.

With pleasure!

At this time it’s the same price and with the Pi 3 you have also the ethernet connexion.

Best regards,

Were you able to get the software to work with the Pi 3? My local store has virtually all the models, but unfortunately they just ran out of stock of the Pi 2 model B. No concerns with compatibility of the image?

I think JamesO are one RPI3 so i think he work, but i have try for answer to you and my RPi 3 stay on the start picture and don’t load!

On Amazon you find the RPi 2 in Premium shipping: https://www.amazon.fr/Raspberry-Pi-Processeur-900MHz-lecteur/dp/B00T2U7R7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465331209&sr=8-1&keywords=raspberry+pi2

I haven’t tried it yet- I’m still waiting on some other things to clear up before I get constructing- but I’ll make a post about it as soon as I try. If I find a solution to the issues @Richard has alluded too, I’ll be sure to make a post about it!

I’m in Canada, and I can’t find anywhere local where the Pi 2 B is cheaper than the Pi 3, and I’m hesitant to pay a premium for less performant hardware. Thanks for the link though - it looks like I could also buy it from the US for a similar price, international shopping is always a pain though.

I’m strongly considering diving into this soon, so please keep us updated!

No idea how far you’ve gone, but have you tried changing monitors? I’ve had various monitors (usually older ones) render partly off screen. Can you tell how far in the boot the Pi gets? Maybe it’s actually done starting up, but has just rendered the last couple lines off the bottom of the screen? From a fresh boot, does logging in (blindly, “pi”, then enter, then “raspberry” then enter) work?