[Tree Computer] Building a Tree Computer in a new project in France

Hi,

My name is Luis Galindo and I work for the TECHNÉ Laboratory at the University of Poitiers in France. In the laboratory our work is focused around Education and New Digital Technologies, we work with schools and other educational partners.

I am currently working in a new project (we start in January) in collaboration with a scientific FabLab in Paris. The focus of this new project is to connect schools around science with an environmental impact working with trees. In this context, it is almost a year that I follow very closely the Open Agriculture initiative and I just saw that you are working in a Tree Computer that involves Trees, so I was wondering if we could introduce in our first version of the project a Tree Computer per school. If it is possible, starting in January, we will build one Tree computer in Paris and one in Poitiers (another city in France). So I wanted to ask you 2 questions:

1. Do you think that it is possible to have more information about the Tree Computer (plans and other resources), so we can build it here (because we are working with trees)?
  2. Or, do you think that it is better to start with the “regular” Food Computer and connect it with our initiative?

Thanks in advance for your answer and congratulations for the great job you are doing.

Hi @LuisGalindo,

Great to hear about your work in education and technology. Please keep us posted as your work moves forward. Answers to your questions are below:

1. Do you think that it is possible to have more information about the Tree Computer (plans and other resources), so we can build it here (because we are working with trees)?
    Unfortunately, we have not completed our research and development for our Tree Computer. Once work is completed, we will reach out to the community with more details.

2. Or, do you think that it is better to start with the “regular” Food Computer and connect it with our initiative?
    I would suggest beginning with an MVP or PFC v2.1. Both have been used in educational settings successfully. Also, they are much more economical than a Tree Computer.

Best of luck,
OpenAg

@LuisGalindo

I’m very interested to know more about what this project is:

We are working on a Co2 module for the MVP (with other mods to make it airtight/cooled). I bring this up because depending on the type of research you are doing Co2 may be a very important data point.

If I know more about what type of tree, or goal of your research project, there may be an opportunity for us to help each other out.

Hi @Webb.Peter,

Very interesting! I think that we can collaborate in different things. We will start to build the MVP (the food computer and the whole system) in January 2018, so I will send you a message when we will have more elements.

Keep in touch!

Luis