We are a team of six Industrial Design Master students from TU Delft, Netherlands - currently developing a futuristic concept based on this amazing project by MIT. We are really excited about being part of this innovative project. Since we are all new to the topic of Food Computers, Aeroponics and gardening in general, we would be really grateful if you could help answer some questions of our steadily growing list:
PFC= Personal Food Computer V.2
2. Which kind of edible plants could be easily grown in a PFC? [answered]
3. Which kinds would be challenging to grow? Why? Could Cucumbers or Beans be grown, for example, if there would be a pole inside a future PFC that the tribe can twist around? [ partly answered]
4. Which kind of edible plants (examples) could not be grown? Why?
5. Could different plants theoretically be grown next to each other?
What would be necessary to do so? E.g. every plant would need to be able to be individually shielded from light sources? Separate root chambers ect…
6. Which environmental factors should be able to change inside the PFC-chamber? Light, …humidity? [answered]
7. Which factors should be able to change inside the PFC-Rootchamber? Only the nutritional mist composition?
Product in general
13. Which light source/technology does the PFC use? (lightcolour?)
16. How do you plant the seeds in the tray? Which material is used, if any?
User and market
18. For the current PFC how (much) do users have to interfere in the growth process besides planting seeds?
20. How do you clean the root chamber of the PFC? [answered]
21. How much space should be considered for the roots - considering that bigger vegetables such as Zucchini could be grown in a future larger device. [partly answered]
22. What are the biggest challenges for an aeroponic system? [answered]
Please don’t hesitate to ask or correct us.