Using a Raspberry Pi instead of Beagle Bone

This person called Rob Baynes sounds like a wacko. @Vortex1 those comments relate to the expensive chiller we used to use that Kipp made.

We are experimenting with peltier chillers now. More info to come as we get something working on a future version of the PFC_EDU.

0 Likes

Now this I need to hear about! You guys cracking the code on how to make a peltier setup efficient enough to become a viable cooling solution?!?!? :open_mouth::thinking::heart_eyes:

0 Likes

Yes, @Drew, just one of the many R&D projects our small team is working on. We have successfully used a peltier junction to cool the air in a fork of the PFC used for fermentation (“fermentabot”). The experience we gained will be part of the cooling solution we add to the PFC_EDU v5.0 board we are designing now.

1 Like

Any updates or link to git repo? Thanks :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Yes @joleeh. We are almost done with the IoT part. We are done with the construction of the grow box. The app is like 95% complete. CV is almost done. So I guess leaving out the CV we will be done with the rest in a week max.

0 Likes

By this weekend we will get everything fixed inside the grow box.

0 Likes

Guys I have a problem with the connections of a relay and I am not able to figure out what is going wrong. I have posted the question here. Could you please take a look and answer? (
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/95862/relay-status-leds-are-blinking-but-the-relay-coil-is-not-activating )

0 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong:

1. your power supply has a switchable 3.3v/5v output and a maximum output current of 700 ma.
  2. Your mechanical relays require a trigger voltage of 12v

Does the relay module trigger voltage match the power supply output voltage?

0 Likes

Oh sorry for the wrong link. I have a 5V 2 channel Songle relay module. My relay needs 5V to get activated. The problem is, when I am provide the VCC and JD-VCC from the arduino uno, the relay works fine. But not from the breadboard, power supply module.

0 Likes

@Drew, the relay triggered when I gave the VCC of the relay to 3.3V of the RPi and the JD-VCC to 5V of the breadboard power supply module. Now it’s working fine. But if you know, can you please tell me why didn’t the relay work when I connected both the VCC and JD-VCC to 3.3V and 5V of the breadboard power supply module? Why it worked only when I connected them both to different power supply sources (
VCC of the relay to 3.3V of the RPi and the JD-VCC to 5V of the breadboard power supply module ) ?

0 Likes

My guess is the power supply you have can’t provide enough power to trigger the relay. Have you put a meter on the outputs of the breadboard supply so see what its providing? Is the supply giving you a solid 5v? Can the regulator convert your input to 5v and provide enough power to activate the relay? I ran into this once using a 4 channel relay powered by cheap supply. Surprisingly, the Arduino and relay needed less than 100mA at idle and 400mA with all four relays latched. Also, I assume those supplies provide either 5v or 3.3v… but not both at the same time ;).

0 Likes

Thats awesome! Good luck :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Yes @Drew, I actually checked the voltage with a multimeter. It was giving 3.3V and 5V. Anyways, atleast it’s working now. No worries and yeah I am done with the IoT part.

0 Likes

Hey guys, I have a question. So I am in the process of fitting the brain to my PFC. I realised that, I haven’t added any control to the PAR light source. I saw online that the light should be “ON” for 16 hours a day. Is it better if I make a relay connection? Or is there any timer module as such which can be programmed with the Raspberry Pi and connected to the light source for me to keep the light “ON” for 16 hours?

0 Likes