Version 2.0 Likely Rough Time-frame

I don’t want to sound impatient, and I know that the answer to this question is likely to be “when it’s ready!” but what is the rough time-frame expected to be for version 2.0?

I’ve been reading a lot posts on here from people who are already building version 1.0 and now I’m wondering if I should just go for it and do the same.

Can’t recall where I saw it, but someone from medialab said that they are aiming at August-September this year.

Thanks. I’m not sure what to do, wait or build.

we are busy cranking of course :slight_smile: looking at Sept launch of next v2 dev kits with cnc milled structure, integrated fasteners, more (better) sensing, etc

Sounds great, can’t wait :sunny:

Just want to sync up. Is September deadline for v2 is still valid?

OK I circled the troops and this is where we are at on V2 :slight_smile:

We will be releasing hardware/software etc for the FC V2.0 developer kit on November 15th (le sigh…I know…but this date is solid, we had to push Sept a bit for break in testing and documentation)

In the next 2-3 weeks (we will send you all a notice when it goes live) we will also send out a link to the community where you can apply for a discounted or free Developer Food Computer kit w/all parts and components you need (twisting sponsors arm to cough up some dough :wink: ). Some of the new components we have been playing with (air cooling, water cooling, proto LED bar, etc) are a bit hard to source and complex to assemble so we wanted to help people find them. Of course you can still use the BOM to source them yourself if you are inclined :wink:

We have been cranking hard on the V2.0 Dev Kits (im sure you’ve already noticed changes to back end, etc) and are super stoked to share them out.

One last note and solicitation from the community: We want to figure out, together, how to do more successful co-development of FC’s. I think its hard on our part as we get our heads down over here crankin away and miss opportunities to co-dev. We want to do better. The V2.0 should help with a lot of the problems/suggestions we took in from the community on V1.0 and be a better device to work together on as its a bit more structured.

Does anyone have good ideas, resources you could help provide the community to increase our ability to co-dev? I’m all ears and we are noodling on it to…I think we need to look to the creative commons model for inspiration and guidance on how to keep interoperability across mods/hacks/versions and enforce that pretty strictly so that we don’t end up w/weird forks to no where.

_C

I think that if you can get some kits out there then people will start building them and the floodgates will open. We’re all just itching to get started.

Co-dev will happen organically when we can all catch up to you guys.

Hi Caleb, new to the forum as i just learned about this project today. Looking forward to getting hacking and tinkering in the future. I noticed there is a V2 in the works that is slated to be released soon. And though i haven’t fully been able to figure my way around the forum and or the website yet, i did take a glance at the github folder and i have a few questions and maybe even a few suggestions to help increase development time and ability.

As a brief into to myself i have been experimenting for the last few years here in Colorado by adapting vegetable and fruit crops to my climate that either don’t normally grow here and/or breeding unusual varieties and traits with those. As a result i am highly interested in climate control and climate recipies, not only so i can grow things using other “climate recipes” for other regions, but also as a way to record and copy my own native climate to further along my breeding efforts and adaption goals.

In addition to that i’m somewhat of a hardware and electronics tinkerer by heart. Being an avid Open Source and Open Hardware advocate i gravitate towards those kinds of projects and devices. This past summer i built my own Lulzbot Mini 3D printer from scratch from the ground up (https://forum.lulzbot.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3172). Having a company that supports Open Source software / hardware to the max made a tremendous difference. And one thing that i particularly like about Lulzbot (Aleph Objects) is the way they have set up their server to allow access to their current R&D projects and in-development files in real-time. (devel.lulzbot.com). Because of this access many on the forums (now including me) often experiment with 3d printing those new designs and/or modifying our own modifications and fixes. As a result many of these community driven enhancements have often been incorporated by Lulzbot themselves into the final design and updates. This is a way i think you can help the community to co-dev at a faster rate and allow better access.

Okay, so now my questions. 1. Where can i find the new hardware design files (CAD and latest BOM) for the new version 2, despite it not yet being finalized? I would like to start getting an idea of hardware cost (minus electronics) and how well the hardware design has improved over version 1. 2. Do you think emulating the open source community success of companies like Lulzbot (Aleph Objects), and Sparkfun electronics is something that is compatible with Food Computers? I for one would love to see something similar as it would help me get involved sooner rather than later.

Hello - In LINE

Okay, so now my questions. 1. Where can i find the new hardware design files (CAD and latest BOM) for the new version 2, despite it not yet being finalized? JUST RELEASED TODAY - CHECK FOR NEW THREAD I would like to start getting an idea of hardware cost (minus electronics) and how well the hardware design has improved over version 1. 2. Do you think emulating the open source community success of companies like Lulzbot (Aleph Objects), and Sparkfun electronics is something that is compatible with Food Computers? I for one would love to see something similar as it would help me get involved sooner rather than later. YES, OPEN A NEW THREAD IN THE COMMUNITY FORUM AND SUGGEST HOW SPECIFICALLY WE COULD DO BETTER AND HOW YOU’D LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE TO THAT :slight_smile:

UPDATED TODAY!!! Check for new thread :slight_smile: