Where are you building your Food Computer?

Hello, everyone! My name is Maxim. I’m going to build PFC in Krasnodar, Russia, and grow basil, hot peppers and cherry tomatoes using it. For now I do this in an old-fashioned way.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, been out of action for a bit.

Raw materials have been a major pain throughout. PVC, and plastic generally, is ludicrously expensive out here. We decided to swap out the PVC base with laminated chip board for the v1 build. We also had to buy many of the electronics components straight from the US. We swapped out the punched steel angle for aluminium angle and drilled out ourselves as that was a lot cheaper name perfectly strong enough. The heater was the biggest pain because finding an equivalent as small in NZ wasn’t possible. Having bought the heater from the US we then had to buy a 240 to 110V step down transformer which we got from the UK at 10% of the cost here.

If we were going to do the v2 build I would wait and buy the kit bags once MIT put them together and build from that. It should end up a lot cheaper than trying to recreate it locally.

Good luck though. Check out the build diary we did for v1 - it’s got the materials problems listed. I’ll try and do an update shortly. If you do build it would be great if you could do a build diary post so we can see how you go.

Good luck!

Ray

Hi there

My friend Simon @seybling and I (Luca) are going to build a Food Computer in Switzerland.

We are Multimedia Production students at the HTW Chur and are writing our bachelor thesis about open source research. We both have limited knowhow in engineering and coding but we’re looking forward to overcome the challenges of building the Food Computer.

Hello everyone,

I am Andrea Melani from Albania, I am currently doing my master studies for Plant Medicine. I have finished bachelor for Agricultural Engineering.
I am also coordinator of a specific group of agriculture students at Albanian Young Leaders Forum.
Recently heard about Open Agriculture and Food Computer and I am very much interested to get involved and to join the community.

Greetings,
Andrea

Hi There, my friend (@Bataleon7) and I are building a Food Computer V2 for our Bachelor-Project near ZH. Maybe we can come in contact to exchange some knowledge. Has someone of you already built a PFC in Switzerland?

@seybling Have you read the recent forum posts about trouble people have been having with the PFC v2 design and software? At this point, the v2 design is effectively unsupported, and people who have been trying to get it working are facing significant problems.

Recommended reading:

Hi Everyone,
I am Rajhans and I am making my food computer in Solapur, India.

Hey,

There is another thread with people in Zurich having meetings about the Food Computer, maybe you can find people here and you can help each other… or maybe participate in a meeting in the future :slight_smile:

Hi! I’m planning to build a Personal Food Computer in Oslo, Norway, this summer. I’m collaborating with a local vertical farm called Byspire. Join us!

I’m building in North Carolina. But soon, I’m moving to Italy. So I’ll be building in Naples, Italy.

Hi, I’m following this forum since a long time. I’m in the Basque Country (Spain), near San Sebastian. First of all I apologize, my english is intermediate. I’ll upload pictures to describe better my progress.

I’m engineer with some background in agriculture because I practice permaculture and regenerative agriculture in a piece of land that I have. And work with open source projects, mainly rep-rap 3dprinters.

I tried to build a low-cost FC in March 17 (I didn’t know about MVP concept yet) but I didn’t have the adequate space in that time and finally stopped and waited for a better oportunity.

In december I raised funds with a crowdfunding campaign called “Food Computer a la guipuzcoana” (“FC - Gipuzkoan style” ?) It’s a play with words, in spanish seems the name of a cooking recipe.

Anyway I started recently to build several frames, with different techniques, to create an array of MVPs. And my aim is improve them step by step.

The rewards in the crowdfunding campaign will be several FC MVPs.

I have a question: ¿Could open an independent thread about this project? Because I have some wild ideas and I think is better include them altogether. I see the category “build diary”, this is the right place isn’t it?

Cheers,
Victor

Food Computer - Gipuzkoa style

I think I’ve seen your posts on Twitter! Glad to hear from you now on the forums.

Definitely, please start a new thread under Build Diary or Hardware. I can’t wait to see your “array of MVPs” which is something we plan to build as well.

Hi!!!

I’m from France. I discover this project with the TED video, and when i finished to watch this video, i was really exited about this project.

But, I’m not a farmers and i never build any food computer before. So i want to know if I need to learn some tips before start this adventure?

Thanks in advance

PS: Sorry for my english :slight_smile:

Yes, I am.

Usually I write updates on twitter, Instagram and Facebook, almost daily. I’m working in several open source projects including FC.
Sometimes I update my account on Pinterest and my web www.egokitek.com (one or two times by month).

I’ll open a thread in “build diary” : Thank you!

Victor

Hi, I’m in Kobe ,Japan. I completed to build MVP with my grand daughter (7 years old) last week-end and starts our first experiment (lettuce).

Hi!!

I’m beginning an initiative to nationalise PFC as an open source project for Brazilian community. The project is gonna be called Plantrix (Plant Matrix), aimed for education and art and discussing the idea of virtual reality for plants.

The project has been incubated by BioLiloLab (an open and autonomous biohack and science makerspace), and funded (few money :frowning:) by Sesc (a giant organisation in Brazil related to art, tech and culture in general, that offers workshops, talks, etc). The project has also been supported by an important art museum in São Paulo (still confidential).

I’m the proponent of the project and will be the facilitator of workshops at Sesc. I have a bit of experience in hardware (electronics, Arduino, actuators), big experience in plant science (Msc in botany), and few experience on programming and software (ill need helpppp).

Do you think I should create a topic for this project? This may be useful for my help asks, documentation, sharing, etc.

thanks and cheers! :slight_smile:

OpenAG Brazil -- PFC 2.1

Yes. I would suggest you create your own topic. Sounds like an interesting parallel to what we are doing. Let us know what we can do to assist.

Hey folks, I built this phytotron in my San Diego cottage doing soil based experiments with legalized cannabis cultivation, following a strict food-soil-web regiment a-la Dr Elaine Ingham tutelage

I’m new to the community but couldnt be more excited. Just getting my sea legs here…

Check out a quick video of what we’ve been up to

Cheers,
Chris

Good video. Soil is an interesting challenge.
Do you have any documentation of the hardware and software? How much is custom and how much is commercial? Waiting to see more of what you are doing.

Hey there Howard, thanks for the response.

Agreed, soil is most definitely a challenge, and to optimize for that I follow a shadow microscopy driven biomass count of fungi, bacteria, protozoa, and nematodes, looking out of course for pathogens. It’s worked out really great for me but requires the additional training.

While I don’t have documentation per se on the environment, I’m happy to share what I did to build it, the sensors and software are largely commercial, but I am eager to co-build an open source system with the help of this community.

Some limited images of the build can be found in the instagram account @filsci

The phytotron itself sits in a room that is roughly 10 x 11 foot and sealed with R-Tech insulation sheathing (Lowes’s) attached to the room walls, then taped with metal duct tape. I put an underlayment of vinyl on top of relatively inexpensive connecting plastic tile for the floor. Built the soil bed in a 4x4x4 cube fabric pot furnished by GrassRoots, reinforced with chickenwire and more PVC tubing. Then sat it on construction rollers and a corrugated roofing product available a Lowes for soil aeration.

The soil itself is another conversation that I am more than happy to share, but to keep the post manageable in size will refrain except to say it is carefully balanced for aeration, texture, water retention and organic material.

The sensors and software are provided from a company named SmartBee. We are controlling measuring air temp, humidity and vapor pressure deficit, and six soil sensors are embedded at different soil locations in the bed. The system then triggers on-off calls to plugs through a wifi mesh.

While the system is largely dependable and programmable I cannot extract the sensor data which is a massive bummer.

So I am game to build an additional food computer system to collect and share the data with this community, and would really appreciate learning more on how to pull that together.

Thanks again for your interest and keep asking away, excited to be part of this conversation.

Chris